Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency have been gaining a lot of mainstream traction since the past couple of years. Before the Bitcoin and cryptocurrency prices made the headlines in 2017, the general perception of cryptocurrency was negative. While the perception is changing now, a recent report reveals that the situation hasn’t improved considerably from the past year.
Cipher Trace is an Anti-Money Laundering (AML), Cryptocurrencies Forensics and Blockchain Threat Intelligence firm in the US. It published its report on the volume and nature of Cryptocurrency related scams and frauds. The report cited that while the widespread cryptocurrency related scams have reduced slightly, there has been a total loss of $1.2 billion through frauds and mishappenings reported in Q1 2019.
It included the $190 million lost through the QuadrigaCX Exchange after the sudden obituary of its CEO Gerald Cotten, who was the sole keeper of the Exchanges’ cold wallets.
“Crypto crime has gotten worse because regulations are still weakly enforced. Europe broadly has not implemented its regulations yet and the cyber criminal community continues to grow,” CipherTrace chief executive officer Dave Jevans told Reuters.
The total cryptocurrency related frauds have siphoned funds to the tune of $851 million, and the Exchange-related issues and scams accounted for the rest $356 million.
The report also noted that due to strict regulations and global presence of Bitcoin and cryptocurrency Exchanges there was a 46% increase in cross-border payments to foreign Exchanges. The reported all added that it was
“contributing to the $8.7 trillion, or 11.5 percent of the world’s wealth, hidden offshore..”
Therefore, the report reiterates the need for cryptocurrency based regulations which have opened the floodgates for moving funds off-shore, which “are far beyond the purview” of the regulators.
Do you think that the new global ubiquitous system will be a bane or boon for the economic system? Please share your views with us.
- OpenSea’s Meteoric Rise May Trigger An Ethereum Crash, Here’s Why
- Breaking: JPMorgan Closes Uniswap (UNI) Founder’s Accounts
- UBS Warns Of Apocalyptic Crypto Winter And The Cryptocurrency Prices Are Poised To Crash
- SOL Tanks 6% As Solana Faces Another 48 Hour Outage, Boom and Bust Moment for Solana?
- Fantom (FTM) Surpasses Avalanche and Solana as DeFi TVL Crosses $12 Billion
- Buy The Dip Survey Shows 61% Of Chinese Bitcoin Investors Still Willing To Bet On Bitcoin
- Mike Novogratz Bets To Pay Peter Schiff $1 M If Bitcoin Price Stays Below $35,000 After 2022
- “At Some Point There’ll Be A Flash Crash” Says Gold Bull Peter Schiff
- Binance And FTX Worst Hit Exchanges As Losses Climb Almost Two Billion Combined
- Bitcoin S2F Founder says Current dip cannot stop Bitcoin from Adding Another Zero
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?