Crypto traders were caught off-guard as the market paused recent losses, liquidating $230 million in positions over the past 24 hours. Total market capital appeared to be holding around $1.7 trillion this week, after losing more than $200 billion in five days.
Shorts disappointed as losses pause
Traders positioning for a further decline in markets were disappointed as crypto traded steady, data from coinglass showed. $96 million in short positions were liquidated in the past 24 hours, with Bitfinex seeing the largest ratio of short positions at nearly 86%.
Sentiment had turned largely negative this week after the United States flagged possible sanctions on Russian oil, sending equity markets into a downward spiral. Crypto markets however, had remained resilient.
Bitcoin appeared to have found support at $38,000 after losing 17% in less than a week, with the token sticking to that level since Sunday. But this blindsided investors who had expected the currency to fall to as much as $34,000- the bottom of its losing spree in February.
Long positions burnt by no recovery
$121 million long positions were liquidated in the past 24 hours. The data showed that a majority of traders were positioning for an eventual recovery in the market, similar to the one seen towards the end of February, where increased whale trading caused crypto markets to surge by $400 billion.
Okex had the highest value in long positions among crypto exchanges, at $78 million. The largest single liquidation order also occurred on Okex, with a $3 million BTC-USDT swap.
Despite worsening market sentiment, institutional investment in crypto appeared to be resilient. Recent data from Coinshares showed institutional investors had bought $127 million worth of crypto products in the last week, even as sanctions against Russia pointed to more economic disruption.
The trajectory of Bitcoin over the last 10 years from being the preserve of a small band of technologists to an asset traded by institutional investors, demonstrates there is now significant liquidity and market interest to continue to support the long-term price appreciation of the currency.
-traders at Bitfinex
Focus now turns to upcoming regulatory decisions on crypto in the United States and Europe, as well as a Federal Reserve meeting next week.
- Are Hedge Funds Planning USDT Dump? Tether CTO Responds To Rumors
- Here’s Why Apecoin (APE) Price Is Skyrocketing Today
- Crypto Prices Falling Despite “Buy The Dip” Sentiment, Data Reveals Why
- Institutional Traders Dumped Bitcoin At A Record Pace Last Week
- Terra USTC Jumps 300%; Lands Back In Top 100 Cryptos
- Ripple’s EX CTO Dumps 40 million XRP tokens In Last 10 Days
- Dogecoin Soars 35%, Here’s Why Breaking This Level Is Crucial
- Crypto Lender Nexo Denies Fraud, Issues Cease And Desist Notice
- Ethereum (ETH) Price Rise and Stability Pulls Broader Crypto Market to $1 Trillion
- Scoop: This Hedge Fund Is Trying To Bailout BlockFi To Counter FTX
- Tezos Price Analysis: XTZ Rebounds from Yearly Support; is it a good buy?
- Tron Price Analysis: Triangle Pattern Governs the TRX Price Action; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- Dogecoin Price Analysis: DOGE Winning Streak Aims to Reclaim $0.077
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Reversal Pattern Sets 21% Rise in APE Price
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Will ETH Relief Rally Revert From $1300?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- Higher Price Rejection Hints BTC to Retest $20000
- SHIB Price Analysis: Overhead Supply Pressure Hints SHIB to Retest $0.00001
- Avalanche Price Analysis: Will The AVAX Breakout Rally Reach $30?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: U-shaped Recovery could Lead SAND above $1.5
- NEAR Price Analysis: Reversal Within Channel could Sink NEAR Below $3