Traditionally, the markets and even banking institutions all over the world have timings which record the opening and closing price of an asset. The asset may be a currency, commodity or equity. The timings wary all around the world but they are all recorded with a certain level of accustomization at the moment.
On the other hand, Bitcoin [BTC] and cryptocurrency markets run 24/7 and the price fluctuations can happen anytime. This discrepancy has created two huge gaps in the Futures contract on Bitcoin [BTC] from the closing on Friday to the opening on Monday.
According to a recent estimation by Bitwise, the market share of the futures contract is considerable compared to the actual volume on spot exchanges like Binance and Bitstamp. The Bitcoin [BTC] Futures contract expired for the month of May on 31st. The new contracts will be traded on Monday.
Moreover, Mati Greenspan, the Senior Market Analyst at eToro noted this fact in a recent blog post. He said,
“The CME bitcoin futures contract for May is set to expire at 4:00 PM in London today and, with more than $8 billion worth of volume traded so far, it’s going to be the biggest one ever… Traders on the CME could be hedging their positions with real BTC holdings elsewhere.”
Furthermore, he also mentioned that although the contracts expire today, the final settlements will be made on Monday. Since the final cash settlements will occur on Monday, currently at the expiration the short positions are transferred to the long holders. On Monday, the traders will choose to either opt for a cash settlement or to continue their contracts.
The weekend hence provides an opportunity for futures contracts holders to gain advantage from the price action during the weekend. Nevertheless, the price was fixed today. Mati Greenspan noted about what could affect the price during this weekend.
What could affect the price though are hedge positions. Traders on the CME could be hedging their positions with real BTC holdings elsewhere.
Hence, the weekend could go on a quiet roll. However, the time-frame presented to the futures traders calls for significant price movement.
Do you think this will be an exciting weekend for Bitcoin or it will go quiet? Please share your views with us.
- Fake Grimacecoin Jumps 285,000% After McDonald’s’ Response to Elon Musk Tweet
- Turkey President Tayyip Erdoğan Orders For Metaverse Research
- After Twitter, Reddit Might Allow Users To Add NFT as Profile Picture
- Facebook’s Bumbling Crypto Venture Diem to Wind Down, Sell Assets
- Breaking: Valkyrie Planning To List Bitcoin Mining ETF On NASDAQ
- Just-In: OpenSea Reportedly Planning to Integrate Solana And Phantom Wallet
- Can Bitcoin’s Price Hit $1 Million? Ark Invest Is Confident It Can Happen In 2030
- DappRadar: Strong Possibility of DeFi Shakeout In 2022 Amid Crypto User Exodus
- YouTube’s Head of Gaming Joins Polygon Studios, CEO Praises NFT and Crypto
- Bitcoin And Ethereum Sell Off Nearing An End- CNBC Host Jim Cramer
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?