Declining volume of cryptocurrencies in the year 2018 has made it the worst loss in overall cryptocurrency industry. Resources recently reported that the Asian cryptocurrency exchanges and traders are striving to insure themselves against the unforeseen risk of hacks and thefts.
PwC fintech & crypto leader for Asia, Henri Arslanian notes that
“Most institutionally minded crypto firms want to buy proper insurance, and in many cases, getting adequate insurance coverage is a regulatory or legal requirement,”
Lack of Insurance Coverage Will Be Impediment to greater ‘Institutionalization’
Since the market is really unpredictable, such coverage is quite difficult to get at the present scenario. However, the reports indicate that there is a large number of institutional investors who are eager to invest in crypto, there are other many asset managers too who believe in the future of cryptocurrency – hence very keenly focusing on ensuring those crypto assets from the future hack or theft.
However, the absence of insurance coverage in this industry is somewhere stopping the greater innovation in terms of “institutionalizing crypto investments”. Hoi Tak Leung, a senior lawyer in Ashurst’s digital economy practice, notes about the requirement of institutional investors, he said that;
“Institutional investors who are interested in investing in crypto will have various requirements, including reliable custody and risk management arrangements,”
There are Custody Solutions But Nothing For Players in Top End of The Market
Besides ensuring the crypto assets, unclear regulations are another constraint investors are looking at. However, it has been seen that the insuring crypto assets would reduce the regulatory concern as such it would help crypto trading platform to have insured virtual assets which would be the future plan of Hong’s SFC. It has been reported that the Securities and Future Commission of Hong Kong is regulating crypto trading platforms thus demanding their assets must need insurance cover. Furthermore, an unnamed broker told Reuters that those platforms providing insurance covers are providing it within a limited constraints. He said that;
“We’ve not yet found an insurer who will offer coverage of a meaningful enough size to make it worthwhile,” he said.
There are dozens of inquiries claimed by insurers on this matter – however, they say ‘ they do offer cover’. Thomas Cain who is the regional director and commercial risk solutions at Aon’s Asian financial services and professional group said that there were two dozen inquiries received by Risk Advisor Aon this year, particularly from exchanges and crypto vaults that were seeking insurance.
Cain pointed out that;
“It is not difficult to insurance companies that hold large amounts of crypto assets, but given the newness of the asset class and the publicity some of the crypto breaches have received, applicants need to make an effort to distinguish themselves,”
Though there is a number of custody solutions developed by many crypto platforms, this is not something feasible for the top end player of the market. Tony Gravanis, managing director-investments at blockchain investment firm Kenetic Capital said that;
“Players at the top end of the market have also been able to get insurance,
Do you really think that the cyber-theft can reduce in crypto industry if the assets get insured? Let’s discuss.
- Breaking: Valkyrie Planning To List Bitcoin Mining ETF On NASDAQ
- Just-In: OpenSea Reportedly Planning to Integrate Solana And Phantom Wallet
- Can Bitcoin’s Price Hit $1 Million? Ark Invest Is Confident It Can Happen In 2030
- DappRadar: Strong Possibility of DeFi Shakeout In 2022 Amid Crypto User Exodus
- YouTube’s Head of Gaming Joins Polygon Studios, CEO Praises NFT and Crypto
- Bitcoin And Ethereum Sell Off Nearing An End- CNBC Host Jim Cramer
- Crypto News: Thailand To Regulate Cryptocurrencies As Means of Payment
- YouTube’s CEO Hints That NFTs Might Be Coming To The Video Sharing App
- Will McDonald’s Accept Dogecoin Following Elon Musk’s Challenge?
- Bitcoin’s Positive Correlation With The Stock Market Index Records A Mild Increase
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?