Australia is finally moving towards the digital society as it announces the ban on the cash purchase of over $10,000 AU from June 2019.
Australia encourages a move to the cashless & digital society
The Liberal Party government of Australia recently announced that purchasing anything for over $10,000 AU i.e. $7,500 US with cash will soon become illegal. According to the government, the step has been to crack down on the tax evasion and encourage the transition to a digital society.
The ban on cash purchase over $7,500 will start on July 1, 2019. In order to enforce this directive, the government will allocate about $300 million for the Black Economy Standing Taskforce. The goal here is to make approximately $3 billion over the next four years in the new tax revenue.
Talking about Australia’s relationship with cash, about 37 percent of the commercial transactions are made with cash in the country. Whereas, Sweden only accounts for 15 percent and 32 percent in the US.
From 2019 onwards, the authorities will officially start its war on cash by implementing this measure.
As per the government document:
“The Government will introduce a limit of $10,000 for cash payments made to businesses for goods and services from 1 July 2019. As part of the implementation process, the government will consult on the detail of this measure.”
The document further clarifies that:
“Currently, large undocumented cash payments can be used to avoid tax or to launder money from criminal activity. This measure will require transactions over a threshold to be made through an electronic payment system or cheque.”
However, the exemption will involve “transactions with financial institutions or consumer to consumer non-business transactions.”
It’s time for cryptocurrencies to replace cash
This move is certainly a good news for the cryptocurrency market as a cashless society will lead businesses and individuals to turn to bitcoin.
This ban might not be a big deal for individuals but a number of small businesses are affected by this plan, especially those that deal majorly in cash as one business owner shared:
“It’s going to screw me—95 percent of my business is cash collections.”
Another section of the society that will be majorly affected by this news are the criminals as stated by Treasurer Scott Morrison in his speech:
“This will be bad news for criminal gangs, terrorists and those who are just trying to cheat on their tax or get a discount for letting someone else cheat on their tax. It’s not clever. It’s not OK. It’s a crime.”
This small step will eventually lead to moving away from the cash and the adoption of advanced options like Bitcoin, Ethereum and other cryptocurrencies in the near future.
What are your views on Australia planning to go cashless? Let us know your views in the comment section below!
- ‘Big Short’ Michael Burry Says Bitcoin Crash Is Only Halfway Through
- These Whales Scoop $850 mln Worth FTX Tokens Ahead Of BlockFi Deal
- Breaking: El Salvador Buys 80 Bitcoin (BTC), Here’s How Prices Reacted
- U.S. DoJ Slaps Charges Against Promoters of Baller Ape Club NFT In Rug Pull Scam
- Canada-based Ledn Challenges FTX’s Bid of BlockFi Acquisition With Better Proposal
- Just In: Basel Committee Proposes Cap For Banks’ Bitcoin Holding
- Dogecoin (DOGE), Shiba Inu (SHIB) Show Strength, Here’s Why
- Breaking: Singapore Financial Regulator Reprimands Three Arrows Capital
- Ethereum Exchange Supply Spikes, ETH At A Risk of Correcting to $700 And Below
- Bitcoin Prices Can Reach This Level By End Of 2022; Reveals Deutsche Bank
- Polygon Price Analysis: V-top Reversal may Direct MATIC to $0.31 Support
- ETH Price Analysis: Is Ethereum Dropping To Three Digits?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- BTC on Losing Streak Nearing $17800; Will it Hold?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Falling Prices Eye $3 Breakdown; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- SHIB Price Analysis: Sustained Selling may Lead $SHIB to $0.0000074?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Crashing SAND Prices Warns 25% Downfall
- Solana Price Analysis: $36 Breakdown Teases SOL Price to Revisit $26
- Chainlink Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern could Lead LINK price below to $5
- AAVE Price Analysis: Buyers Need $76.6 Breakout to Trigger Bullish Recovery
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Rising APE Price Knockout Another Barrier; is $6 Next?