Binance CEO Changpeng CZ Zhao reversed course on Monday to clarify that the world’s largest exchange did hold the recently-crashed LUNA and UST tokens.
Contradicting his earlier comments, CZ said Binance holds 3 million LUNA tokens, and 10 million UST tokens, the former of which it had received for an initial investment in Terra. None of the tokens were ever moved or traded.
The 10 million UST was generated and earned through staking activities by the exchange. At peak value, Binance held about $1.6 billion in LUNA, and $12 million in UST.
Additionally, CZ said Binance will now push Terra into repaying its smallest holders, a move that the Luna Foundation Guard said it intends to do.
Binance Does Hold Terra’s UST
Binance had invested $3 million in the Terra project during the first fundraising round. However, the company didn’t take part in the second fundraising round. In response to rumors circulating on Twitter that Binance had invested largely in Terra’s UST. Binance CEO “CZ” said:
Binance received 15,000,000 LUNA (at peak worth $1.6 billion USD, now not much) as part of the original ($3m) invest. 560x return at peak. It still sits on the address we received at. Never moved or sold.
He has also suggested that the Terra team should be buying back or burning tokens instead of forking and minting. He believes forking and minting will not help revive UST.
In response to CZ’s tweet, users appreciated the transparency of the Binance exchange and team. Moreover, claiming transparency as the reason behind Binance’s success in becoming the world’s largest crypto exchange in daily trades.
Initially, CZ had downplayed speculation that Binance major exposure to LUNA:
“We probably do have some from trading fees. Probably valued close to 0 now. (Think of it as free trading in the past, haha). This just wasn’t on my mind. Not how we prioritize things. Users first.”
LUNA and UST Still Under Pressure
Even after a week of LUNA and UST tumble, Terraform Labs hasn’t been able to revive or come up with a better proposal. At the time of writing, the LUNA price is trading at $0.00023, and the UST price is $0.16.
Meanwhile, Vitalik Buterin supports that Terraform Labs should protect small investors of UST and LUNA.
- Bitcoin Miners Likely Behind Crash Below $19K, Here’s Why
- India’s Crypto Exchanges In Trouble? 1% Tax Keeps Traders Away
- Crypto Exchange KuCoin Denies Rumours of Them Halting Exchange Withdrawals
- Elrond Price Jumps By 9% Over This Announcement
- XRP Holding Better Than Most Altcoins, Here’s Why
- Breaking: Polygon, Major Blockchains Hit With Network Attack
- New Crypto Rules In Europe: A Global Standard For Regulation?
- Third Biggest Whale Adds 1,416 Bitcoins In Last 2 Days; Will This Pump BTC?
- ‘Big Short’ Michael Burry Says Bitcoin Crash Is Only Halfway Through
- These Whales Scoop $850 mln Worth FTX Tokens Ahead Of BlockFi Deal
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Emerging Pattern May Soar SAND price by 20%
- Polygon Price Analysis: V-top Reversal may Direct MATIC to $0.31 Support
- ETH Price Analysis: Is Ethereum Dropping To Three Digits?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- BTC on Losing Streak Nearing $17800; Will it Hold?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Falling Prices Eye $3 Breakdown; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- SHIB Price Analysis: Sustained Selling may Lead $SHIB to $0.0000074?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Crashing SAND Prices Warns 25% Downfall
- Solana Price Analysis: $36 Breakdown Teases SOL Price to Revisit $26
- Chainlink Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern could Lead LINK price below to $5
- AAVE Price Analysis: Buyers Need $76.6 Breakout to Trigger Bullish Recovery