The world’s largest cryptocurrency Bitcoin (BTC) continues to face strong selling pressure. On Monday, May 23, the BTC price tanked 3% moving under $30,000 despite the U.S. equity market moving higher.
Bitcoin continues to trade in the range of $28,500-$31,500 for a while now. Glassnode data shows that the BTC market has traded lower for eight consecutive weeks marking it the longest “continuous string of red weekly candles in history”.
Furthermore, a look into the Bitcoin derivatives market suggests the risks of further downside, at least over the next three to six months. In its latest report, on-chain data provider Glassnode explains that the Bitcoin options market continues to price in the near-term uncertainty.
During the market sell-off last week, the Bitcoin options implied volatility surged significantly. Glassnode explains:
Short-dated at-the-money options saw IV more than double, from 50% to 110%, whilst 6-month dated option IV jumped to 75%. This is a break higher from what has been a long period of very low implied IV levels.
Bitcoin Put Options Have Higher Preference
With a very strong bearish sentiment, the Bitcoin put options have a very strong preference looking into the end of Q2 2022. Just over the last two weeks, the Bitcoin put/call ratio for open interest has surged from 50% to 70%. It means that the market is preparing to hedge further downside risks.
By the end of Q2, there are strong put options with strike prices of $25k, $20k, and $15k. At the same time, the open call options are very low. Thus, by the mid of this year, investors have a strong preference for hedging risks thereby speculating further downside price action.
On a long-term basis i.e. by the end of the year, the options interest setup for Bitcoin is notably constructive. Glassnode explains:
There is a clear preference for call options, with concentration around strike prices of $70k to $100k. Furthermore, the dominant put option strike prices are at $25k and $30k, which are at higher price levels than the mid-year.
- Bitcoin Miners Likely Behind Crash Below $19K, Here’s Why
- India’s Crypto Exchanges In Trouble? 1% Tax Keeps Traders Away
- Crypto Exchange KuCoin Denies Rumours of Them Halting Exchange Withdrawals
- Elrond Price Jumps By 9% Over This Announcement
- XRP Holding Better Than Most Altcoins, Here’s Why
- Breaking: Polygon, Major Blockchains Hit With Network Attack
- New Crypto Rules In Europe: A Global Standard For Regulation?
- Third Biggest Whale Adds 1,416 Bitcoins In Last 2 Days; Will This Pump BTC?
- ‘Big Short’ Michael Burry Says Bitcoin Crash Is Only Halfway Through
- These Whales Scoop $850 mln Worth FTX Tokens Ahead Of BlockFi Deal
- Polygon Price Analysis: $0.45 Fallout could Plummet MATIC price by 25%
- ETH Price Analysis: Can $1000 Support Undermine Selling Momentum?
- BTC Price Analysis: Technical Indicator hints Upcoming recovery for Bitcoin
- CRV Price Analysis: Buyers Prepare To Boost CRV Prices To $1
- DOGE Price Analysis: Pullback Opportunity Eyes its Next Jump to $0.1
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Emerging Pattern May Soar SAND price by 20%
- Polygon Price Analysis: V-top Reversal may Direct MATIC to $0.31 Support
- ETH Price Analysis: Is Ethereum Dropping To Three Digits?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- BTC on Losing Streak Nearing $17800; Will it Hold?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Falling Prices Eye $3 Breakdown; Should Coin Holders Worry?