U.K based fraud detection firm, Cifas, warns investors on the skyrocketing cases of fraud involving Bitcoin payments and donations. The firm states the current program by the World Health Organization (WHO) to donate BTC directly to its wallet is one of the websites facing the highest cases of Bitcoin fraud.
According to the report, there has been an increasing case of phishing and Bitcoin-related fraud as the world adjusts to the CoronaVirus pandemic. The epidemic has seen a number of donation websites come up in a bid to fight the spread of the virus but fraudsters have taken up this opportunity to scam users off their money.
Cifas claims the WHO emailing and texting service have been cloned by fraudsters to ask for donations from unknowing citizens. Bitcoin scams boosted on the WHO plea, some asking users to send their donation to a BTC address not registered to WHO’s COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund.
Furthermore, fraudsters send users a “WHO-like” email using the address ([email protected]) to make the scam look more realistic. The detection firm asked users not to send any donations to suspicious-looking addresses but only to donate on the official WHO pages.
Notwithstanding, phishing scams have also graduated to target institutions and companies using Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) job retention scheme to scam people. In a statement released earlier in the week, HMRC urges everyone to be vigilant during this period. The statement further reads,
“Companies to beware of unsolicited emails, texts or phone calls that are requesting financial details or other sensitive information and claim to come from the HMRC or similar authorities.”
- DeFi’s Liquidation Volume Hits $34.33 M ATH, The Highest Since Last year’s December
- Portugal opens First Physical Store for Buying and Selling of Bitcoin
- “This Irritates Me”- Elon Musk Slams Twitter’s Integration Of NFTs
- Crypto Mayhem Grips Markets, $230 Billion Decimated In Massive Red Friday Selloff
- New York City Mayor Eric Adams to Buy Bitcoin (BTC) and Ethereum (ETH) Dips Today
- Shiba Inu (SHIB) Sagging Values To Get A Boost With New Token Burn Mechanism?
- U.S. Fed Releases New Whitepaper for CBDC Digital Dollar, Kickstarts Debate
- Crypto Market Flash Crash: Bitcoin (BTC) Down 8%, Ethereum (ETH) And Altcoins Follow
- Breaking: Twitter Integrates NFT Profile Pictures and Crypto Wallets On IOS
- El Salvador wants to give small businesses access to Bitcoin-backed loans
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?