The Bitcoin network has just registered a new hash rate of 117 EH/s, an encouraging move that may be a precursor of where BTC price leans in the immediate term. Interestingly, the uptick is four months to a decisive Bitcoin halving that reduces daily BTC emission and therefore daily returns for miners.
The Intrigues of Proof of Work Systems
Well, what do you know… New Bitcoin hashrate ATH.
Bitcoin miners know…
Halving 4 months away. pic.twitter.com/28NXd2Mevu
— hodlonaut?⚡? (@hodlonaut) January 6, 2020
Bitcoin is the first network that uses the Proof of Work consensus algorithm.
Miners from across the globe can plug in and funnel their computers computing power, measured in hash rate, to process BTC transactions and to secure the network against third party attacks.
It’s an energy intensive activity that is cut-throat competitive and worsened by the high demand of the latest up-to-date ASIC miners. Besides, more entities are seeking to tap in the lucrative trade and are rapidly setting up mining farms.
The Rise and Rise of Hash Rate-or Mining Power
The surge in the hash rate, a metric that shows how fast it would take a mining gear to calculate hash functions generated from Bitcoin’s SHA-256 encryption, highlights the confidence amongst miners.
From the way the Bitcoin network is coded, an influx of miners (as shown by hash rate increase) means the network’s mining difficulty will also rise in tandem.
Bitcoin starting 2020 with a BANG.
Hash Rate hit a new all time high on 1/1/2020: 119M TH/s.
Finally broke above the last ATH set more than 2 months ago in October.
Bitcoin Network stronger than ever before ?
Happy New Year! ? pic.twitter.com/c0dfvewXfy
— Charles Edwards (@caprioleio) January 2, 2020
Only mining pools with the most hash rate, or farms using the latest mining gear, stand a chance of earning the 12.5 BTCs emitted from the network every 10 minutes and the transaction fees.
Bitcoin Price Influence Hash Rate
Extended, the uptick in hash rate hints at a price increase in the medium term. Bitcoin is structured in a way that hash rate follows price. The higher the price, the more the miners and therefore the higher the uptick.
2020 is already promising to become a great year for bitcoin. With the imminent halving set to take place later in the year, the flagship crypto has already hit a new record with its network hash rate once more topping the previous all-time highs of 2019. pic.twitter.com/7iywKZFzUf
— Gabriellyan (@GabriellXL99) January 2, 2020
On the reverse, whenever prices tumble, hash rate follows suit—though it is not always the case as there are often asymmetrical delays in the trailing effects, and weak miners often switch their energy consuming gear at the face of the mounting operation costs and low return on investment.
At the time of writing, BTC is trading at $7,520. Bulls are back in contention as prices bottom up from Dec 2019 lows.
- Just-In: Bitcoin May Soon Be A Legal Tender in Arizona
- OpenSea Fixes Vulnerability, But Users Are Still Losing NFTs To Hackers
- Crypto Mining: Putin Says Russia Has a ‘Competitive Advantage’ – Wants to ‘Tax and Regulate,’ Not Ban It
- Goldman Sachs Says Mainstream Crypto Adoption Not Enough to Boost Bitcoin (BTC) Price
- Fidelity Eyes for ETFs Tied to Metaverse After the SEC Rejects Its Spot Bitcoin ETF
- Rio De Jeneiro’s Mayor Reveals 1%Of Its Treasury Reserves Will Be Poured Into Cryptocurrencies
- Fake Grimacecoin Jumps 285,000% After McDonald’s’ Response to Elon Musk Tweet
- Turkey President Tayyip Erdoğan Orders For Metaverse Research
- After Twitter, Reddit Might Allow Users To Add NFT as Profile Picture
- Facebook’s Bumbling Crypto Venture Diem to Wind Down, Sell Assets
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?