Bank of New York Mellon is optimistic about a meaningful revenue ticking from its crypto services. On Tuesday, January 18, the bank’s chief financial officer Emily Portney said that the bank is collaborating with Fireblocks, a unicorn FinTech that allows financial institutions to store crypto assets.
Portney said that the U.S. regulators should provide more clarity on the rules for the digital assets and said there’s a lot of confusion prevailing over what activities are allowed. In an interview with Reuters, Portney said:
“We’re hoping for more clarity around digital assets. Frankly, it’s a bit confusing about who actually regulates digital assets and especially crypto … and of course exactly what you can or cannot do”.
Portney’s comments show clear frustration regarding the government’s indecision pertaining to crypto assets. As the crypto ecosystem expands, traditional banking institutions have an interest in entering the crypto space. However, the banks are refraining from launching new products and expanding its existing offerings until the rules are clear.
BNY Mellon’s Sprint With Crypto
Banking giant BNY Mellon has been specializing in holding and servicing assets on behalf of clients. It has also been working on developing a custody and administration platform for digital assets.
Back in November 2021, the OCC said that banks need to get written permission before engaging in crypto-related activities. The OCC along with other regulators have engaged in a “policy sprint” to bring better crypto regulatory clarity for banks.
The effort is likely to bring new guidance and rules which shall be released as soon as this year in 2022. Portney added:
“A lot of the activity is happening in I guess what I would call the shadow banking system just because of the lack of clarity”.
We expect more regulatory clarity in crypto which can thus lead to higher institutional participation in the crypto space.
- Terra LUNA 2.0 Price Falls By Over 60% Hours After Airdrop
- What Is Terra LUNA 2.0, Here’s All You Need To Know
- Whales Accumulating These DeFi Tokens Amid Price Crash
- This Analyst Predicts A Bitcoin Bottom Before Bullish Momentum
- Terra Team Officially Activates Terra 2.0 Pheonix-1 mainnet, Here Are the Details
- Tron’s TRX Burn Total Exceeds 7.7 Billion
- Tron Stablecoin Reaches Key Milestone Amid Bearish Trends
- Binance Italy Gets Govt Nod, Global Expansion Goes On
- Just In: Russia Inches Closer To Crypto Adoption With Latest Move
- Ethereum Classic (ETC) Soars 9% As ETH Crashes, Here’s Why
- CRV Price Analysis: Dual Trendline Limits The CRV Bull Run
- DOT Price Analysis: Uncertainty Over DOT Price May End With Trendline Breakout
- ERON Price Analysis: Emerging Bullish Pattern Foretells 65% Rise In ERON
- AAVE Price Analysis : $95 Breakdown Rease 25% Fall In AAVE Price
- Sandbox Price Analysis: High Volume Breakout Aims SAND To Hit $2.6
- MATIC Price Analysis: Bullish Influence Grows on Consolidation
- TRON Price Analysis: High Volume Breakout may Lead TRX to $0.9 Mark
- Tezos Price Analysis: Dynamic Trendline May Carry XTZ Price to $2.4
- AAVE Price Analysis: AAVE Chart Hints Coin Holders May Lose $100 Mark
- What Next For The Fast Recovering FTM Price?