A vulnerability in the Bored Ape Yacht Club’s (BAYC) airdrop was exploited to steal about $1.5 million in ApeCoin tokens (APE), a research report showed. APE tokens were initially distributed to holders of BAYC NFTs this Thursday, before being available to trade on the open market.
Cybersecurity researcher Check Point Research said the hacker used a method called “flash loan” to quickly borrow BAYC NFTs and redeem a large number of tokens.
The main vulnerability in the airdrop was that BAYC did not check how long the NFT holders had owned the asset, Check Point said. As such, the attacker had to own a BAYC NFT for only a brief moment to claim the token.
The hacker also used an NFT vault platform called NFTX to identify BAYCs that had not been used to claim the airdrop, which they then exploited to claim APE tokens. Check Point said the attacker sold the APE tokens on the open market for $1.5 million.
A separate report from security firm CertiK said the hacker made a profit of around $800,000.
No snapshot before APE airdrop
BAYC creator Yuga Labs did not create a snapshot, ie, a record of all BAYC holders, before the airdrop. This allowed people to buy BAYCs in real time to claim the airdrop.
Data from NFT price floor shows that BAYC’s price floor, ie the lowest price at which one can buy into the project, had surged by nearly 20% after the announcement of the airdrop. The price, along with BAYC sales, had continued to increase as the airdrop began, peaking at 105.91 ETH (USD 313,938).
APE marks a highly volatile debut
ApeCoin marked large price swings in its trading debut. The token surged to as much as $40, before sinking down to $6 after the airdrop, and as it began trading on several major exchanges. At the time of writing, the token was trading at about $13.2, having lost 16% over the past 24 hours.
The token was revealed earlier this week. About 15% of total supply was distributed through the airdrop.
- Are Hedge Funds Planning USDT Dump? Tether CTO Responds To Rumors
- Here’s Why Apecoin (APE) Price Is Skyrocketing Today
- Crypto Prices Falling Despite “Buy The Dip” Sentiment, Data Reveals Why
- Institutional Traders Dumped Bitcoin At A Record Pace Last Week
- Terra USTC Jumps 300%; Lands Back In Top 100 Cryptos
- Ripple’s EX CTO Dumps 40 million XRP tokens In Last 10 Days
- Dogecoin Soars 35%, Here’s Why Breaking This Level Is Crucial
- Crypto Lender Nexo Denies Fraud, Issues Cease And Desist Notice
- Ethereum (ETH) Price Rise and Stability Pulls Broader Crypto Market to $1 Trillion
- Scoop: This Hedge Fund Is Trying To Bailout BlockFi To Counter FTX
- Tezos Price Analysis: XTZ Rebounds from Yearly Support; is it a good buy?
- Tron Price Analysis: Triangle Pattern Governs the TRX Price Action; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- Dogecoin Price Analysis: DOGE Winning Streak Aims to Reclaim $0.077
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Reversal Pattern Sets 21% Rise in APE Price
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Will ETH Relief Rally Revert From $1300?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- Higher Price Rejection Hints BTC to Retest $20000
- SHIB Price Analysis: Overhead Supply Pressure Hints SHIB to Retest $0.00001
- Avalanche Price Analysis: Will The AVAX Breakout Rally Reach $30?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: U-shaped Recovery could Lead SAND above $1.5
- NEAR Price Analysis: Reversal Within Channel could Sink NEAR Below $3