India’s chief security regulator the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) warned mutual funds against investing in crypto assets until clear regulations come out.
In a press conference, the chairman of the SEBI group Ajay Tyagi addressed the issue and said it won’t be an ideal situation for mutual funds to invest public money in crypto without the government’s regulatory framework. Mutual funds are one of the most popular forms of investment for the majority of the Indian household thus if domestic mutual funds seek NFO (new fund offer) approval from the regulator, they must avoid crypto investments.
Crypto investments are not illegal in India, despite no regulations put in place yet, people and firms can invest and trade crypto assets. However, SEBI belive with no clarity on tax brackets and no clear indication from the government, it’s best to avoid for companies to offer crypto-themed investment options.
Invesco Mutual Fund became the first asset management company in India to get SEBI’s approval to offer a blockchain fund called Invesco CoinShares Global Blockchain ETF Fund of Fund (FoF). The fund offered exposure to global crypto and blockchain companies, however, its launch was delayed even after the approval due to regulatory uncertainty.
Indian central bank adamant on a ban
The much-anticipated cryptocurrency bill failed to make it to the Indian parliament’s winter session despite it being listed as one of the agendas before the start of the session. This was the second incident in 2021 where the cryptocurrency bill didn’t find a place for discussion. However, the Indian finance minister Nirmala Sitharman had said that the government won’t take a blanket approach.
Despite assurance from the Indian finance minister and many insiders hinting at a positive regulatory approach, the Indian Central Bank, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) remains adamant on a blanket ban. However, according to insiders, the regulators have made it clear that it’s “too late” for a complete ban.
- Terra LUNA 2.0 Price Falls By Over 60% Hours After Airdrop
- What Is Terra LUNA 2.0, Here’s All You Need To Know
- Whales Accumulating These DeFi Tokens Amid Price Crash
- This Analyst Predicts A Bitcoin Bottom Before Bullish Momentum
- Terra Team Officially Activates Terra 2.0 Pheonix-1 mainnet, Here Are the Details
- Tron’s TRX Burn Total Exceeds 7.7 Billion
- Tron Stablecoin Reaches Key Milestone Amid Bearish Trends
- Binance Italy Gets Govt Nod, Global Expansion Goes On
- Just In: Russia Inches Closer To Crypto Adoption With Latest Move
- Ethereum Classic (ETC) Soars 9% As ETH Crashes, Here’s Why
- CRV Price Analysis: Dual Trendline Limits The CRV Bull Run
- DOT Price Analysis: Uncertainty Over DOT Price May End With Trendline Breakout
- ERON Price Analysis: Emerging Bullish Pattern Foretells 65% Rise In ERON
- AAVE Price Analysis : $95 Breakdown Rease 25% Fall In AAVE Price
- Sandbox Price Analysis: High Volume Breakout Aims SAND To Hit $2.6
- MATIC Price Analysis: Bullish Influence Grows on Consolidation
- TRON Price Analysis: High Volume Breakout may Lead TRX to $0.9 Mark
- Tezos Price Analysis: Dynamic Trendline May Carry XTZ Price to $2.4
- AAVE Price Analysis: AAVE Chart Hints Coin Holders May Lose $100 Mark
- What Next For The Fast Recovering FTM Price?