The South Korean Government is reportedly planning to summon Terra founder Do Kwon for a parliamentary hearing over the Terra crash.
The move comes after Terra’s value imploded from over $40 billion to barely $1 billion in the span of a week. The crash sparked outrage among investors, and also saw several governments calling for more regulation over crypto.
S. Korean Lawmaker calls out Do Kwon over Terra
As per reports, South Korean politician Yoon Chang-Hyeon raised the necessary question over the recent Terra crash in a plenary meeting. He pointed out the uncertain behavior of the crypto exchange platforms during the crash. The major Korean exchanges like Coinone, Korbit, and Gopax halted their trading of UST and LUNA on May 10, while Bithumb and Upbit did it on May 11 and May 13, respectively.
Yoon mentioned calling crypto exchange officials and Do Kwon to investigate the cause behind the historic crash. However, he also raised the point to build measures to protect investors.
Terra’s stablecoin UST used to hold a market capitalisation of over $18 Billion. UST which was mean to be pegged by the dollar value is now trading at an average price of $0.124. After the huge crash, its valuation has come down to $1.4 Billion.
Are Crypto exchanges involved in recent crash?
Yoon mentioned that every trade in the market helps the platform to generate commission from them. During the market crash, Upbit was the last platform to halt the trading for LUNA. The exchange went on to become the topmost company in generating commission income with 80% of the share. He raised a voice for strict legislation over the crypto market as the investors are facing huge losses due to its nonbeing.
South Korea’s financial authorities have already begun an investigation against crypto exchanges. The Financial Supervisory Service (FSS) and the Financial Services Commission (FSC) have asked the exchanges to provide the details regarding UST and Luna transactions. The report will also include the trading volumes with the number of investors and their closing prices.
- Ethereum Exchange Supply Spikes, ETH At A Risk of Correcting to $700 And Below
- NFT Marketplace OpenSea Flags Data Breach, Here’s What Was Leaked
- EU Passes A Bill to Trace the Flow of Bitcoin & Crypto Assets In Regulatory Tightening Measures
- North Korea’s Lazarus Group Behind $100 Million Horizon Hack, Harmony Initiates Global Manhunt
- Grayscale Initiates A Lawsuit Against the U.S. SEC Over Spot Bitcoin ETF Issues
- Pentagon Raises Damning Concerns Over Bitcoin, Ethereum Security
- Bitcoin Cash Sinks 7% As Its Biggest Advocate Is Accused Of Default
- Here’s Why Ethereum (ETH) Price Can Plunge More Ahead
- This Crypto Winter Suite Could Help Investors In Bear Market
- Terra USTC Price Skyrockets By 75%; Will It Recover More?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Falling Prices Eye $3 Breakdown; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- SHIB Price Analysis: Sustained Selling may Lead $SHIB to $0.0000074?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Crashing SAND Prices Warns 25% Downfall
- Solana Price Analysis: $36 Breakdown Teases SOL Price to Revisit $26
- Chainlink Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern could Lead LINK price below to $5
- AAVE Price Analysis: Buyers Need $76.6 Breakout to Trigger Bullish Recovery
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Rising APE Price Knockout Another Barrier; is $6 Next?
- Stacks Price Analysis: Reversal Within Wedge Pattern Eyes $0.3 Support
- Tezos Price Analysis: XTZ Rebounds from Yearly Support; is it a good buy?
- Tron Price Analysis: Triangle Pattern Governs the TRX Price Action; Should Coin Holders Worry?