Swiss asset manager GAM Holding said on Friday it is not in talks with Terra developer Terraform Labs over a possible bailout.
GAM, which is headquartered in Zurich, has over $95 billion assets under management. It is also publicly listed on the SIX Swiss Exchange.
The fake announcement came amid reports that Terra was courting private capital help for supporting the UST peg. The blockchain reportedly sought over $1.5 billion.
Terra network halted
Earlier today, Terra halted its blockchain to plug further losses in its main tokens. It was the network’s second such halt in the past 12 hours, with the chain yet to resume trading.
The move came as UST depegged to a new low of below $0.2. Terra has outlined several measures to support the token, including burning excess UST and minting more LUNA to support the peg.
Still, its measures have so far proven to be ineffective. This has also sparked growing criticism of the project and its founder, Kwon.
Mass withdrawals from the blockchain have rendered it almost completely devoid of capital, making any solitary attempt at recovery quite futile.
Terra founder Do Kwon recently said Terra was considering making UST a traditionally collateralized stablecoin– which requires far more capital.
UST, LUNA in trouble
As of press time, UST has now de-pegged to as low as $0.165- a far cry from its $1 peg. LUNA is also trading at half a cent, and appears to have crashed out of the top 200 cryptocurrencies by value.
Major exchanges Binance, OKX and Upbit have also delisted most trading pairs with UST and LUNA. With the blockchain now suspended, holders have few avenues to trade the tokens.
- This Crypto Winter Suite Could Help Investors In Bear Market
- Terra USTC Price Skyrockets By 75%; Will It Recover More?
- Breaking: No VAT On Cryptocurrency Issuers In Russia, Details
- Just In: Robinhood Lists Chainlink (LINK); Price Up By 5%
- Just In: USDC Parent Inks Major Pact With New York Bank
- Here’s Why Dogecoin (DOGE), Shiba Inu (SHIB) Prices Tumbled
- This Is Why Ethereum (ETH) Recovered Sharply From Below $1K
- Top Binance Exec To Keep Buying Bitcoin, But There’s A Catch
- Expert Sees Fed Reversing Interest Rate Hikes, How Will It Affect Crypto?
- New Bullish Cycle Likely After Bitcoin Reaches This Level, Stats Show
- Chainlink Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern could Lead LINK price below to $5
- AAVE Price Analysis: Buyers Need $76.6 Breakout to Trigger Bullish Recovery
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Rising APE Price Knockout Another Barrier; is $6 Next?
- Stacks Price Analysis: Reversal Within Wedge Pattern Eyes $0.3 Support
- Tezos Price Analysis: XTZ Rebounds from Yearly Support; is it a good buy?
- Tron Price Analysis: Triangle Pattern Governs the TRX Price Action; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- Dogecoin Price Analysis: DOGE Winning Streak Aims to Reclaim $0.077
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Reversal Pattern Sets 21% Rise in APE Price
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Will ETH Relief Rally Revert From $1300?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- Higher Price Rejection Hints BTC to Retest $20000