Swiss asset manager GAM Holding said on Friday it is not in talks with Terra developer Terraform Labs over a possible bailout.
GAM, which is headquartered in Zurich, has over $95 billion assets under management. It is also publicly listed on the SIX Swiss Exchange.
The fake announcement came amid reports that Terra was courting private capital help for supporting the UST peg. The blockchain reportedly sought over $1.5 billion.
Terra network halted
Earlier today, Terra halted its blockchain to plug further losses in its main tokens. It was the network’s second such halt in the past 12 hours, with the chain yet to resume trading.
The move came as UST depegged to a new low of below $0.2. Terra has outlined several measures to support the token, including burning excess UST and minting more LUNA to support the peg.
Still, its measures have so far proven to be ineffective. This has also sparked growing criticism of the project and its founder, Kwon.
Mass withdrawals from the blockchain have rendered it almost completely devoid of capital, making any solitary attempt at recovery quite futile.
Terra founder Do Kwon recently said Terra was considering making UST a traditionally collateralized stablecoin– which requires far more capital.
UST, LUNA in trouble
As of press time, UST has now de-pegged to as low as $0.165- a far cry from its $1 peg. LUNA is also trading at half a cent, and appears to have crashed out of the top 200 cryptocurrencies by value.
Major exchanges Binance, OKX and Upbit have also delisted most trading pairs with UST and LUNA. With the blockchain now suspended, holders have few avenues to trade the tokens.
- Uniswap ($UNI) Surges 45% As Trading Fees Surpass Ethereum
- Ethereum Merge Delay? Developers Concerned Over Shadow Fork
- MINA Price Jumps By 20% Over This Announcement
- Bitcoin Mining Data Suggests More Price Dumps Ahead; Details
- This Bitcoin Bear Market Is Unlike Any Other, Here’s Why
- Here’s Why Shiba Inu Ecosystem Tokens’ Prices Are Shooting Up
- Goldman Sachs Likely to Raise $2 Billion To Acquire Celsius Assets, But Here’s the Catch
- Here’s Why SEC Chair Wants Single Rulebook For All Crypto Trading
- Huge Cardano Breakout Imminent After This Resistance Level?
- Shibarium To Launch Soon; How It Can Pump Shiba Inu Prices?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Reversal Within Channel could Sink NEAR Below $3
- Solana Price Analysis: SOL Price Rallying North With Eyes On $59
- XRP Price Analysis: Trendline Reversal Could Dump XRP Back to $0.3
- AXS Price Analysis: Rising AXS Price Aims To Reclaim $17.6 Mark
- Polygon Price Analysis: Can Trendline Breakout Lead MATIC to $0.75?
- ArbiSmart Price Analysis: RBIS Retests Multi-month Support; Buy this Dip?
- Waves Price Analysis: Emerging Pattern Threatens to Break $4.16 Support
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Trendline Fakeout Could Tumble APE by 25%
- Uniswap Price Analysis: Can Ongoing Recovery Carry UNI Price to $8?
- SHIB Price Analysis: $0.00001 Breakout Could Pump SHIB by 33%