While a lot of Central banks are trying to get in terms with cryptocurrencies, the World Economic Forum which houses itself in Davos, Switzerland has released a white paper discussing how Central Banks across the globe are exploring blockchain and distributed ledger technologies.
Central Banks experimenting with ten possible use cases for blockchain
Since the launch of Stablecoins, there has been a lot of discussion happening around cryptocurrencies and central banks. A lot of experts believe sooner or later central banks would launch their own stablecoins and cryptocurrencies would become mainstream. But according to the recent report by World Economic Forums, Central banks are
“researching and experimenting with at least 10 specific use cases for blockchain and DLT, exploring where they can potentially unlock new possibilities and improve inefficient processes”
The report begins by referring to a January 2019 report which was by the Bank for International Settlements (BIS) in Basel, Switzerland, which stated that least 40 central banks around the world are currently, or soon will be, researching and experimenting with central bank digital currency (CBDC).
While stablecoins or CBDC happens to be the most common use case in experimental phase, this world economic forum report looks beyond this and identifies other 9 key areas and use cases where banks are bringing in the distributed ledger technology. These include
- Retail central bank digital currency (CBDC)
- Wholesale central bank digital currency (CBDC)
- Interbank securities settlement
- Payment system resiliency and contingency
- Bond issuance and lifecycle management
- Know-your-customer and anti-money-laundering
- Information exchange and data sharing
- Trade finance
- Cash money supply chain
- Customer SEPA(single euro payments area) Creditor Identifier (SCI) provisioning
While the report explains these use cases in a bit detail, it recognizes the efforts put forward by some central banks. These are
- Bank of Lithuania plans to issue “Digital Collector Coin”
- Bank of Thailand experiments with CBDC for interbank payments and liquidity management efficiency
- The Central Bank of Brazil implementation of DLT for an interbank payments contingency and resiliency system
- The Hong Kong Monetary Authority research and experiments on multiple use cases including trade finance, digital identity management, and KYC/AML processes
- The Swedish central bank (Sveriges Riksbank) investigations in a blockchain-based “e-krona” to serve as an alternative form of central bank-issued money
While the report mentions other several efforts that central banks are putting to implement blockchain, the author believes over the next four years, there would be many central banks deciding whether they will use blockchain and distributed ledger technologies to improve their processes and economic welfare
Will DLT, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrencies change the way Central Banks work today? Do let us know your views on the same.
- Hackers Siphon Off $80 Million in Cryptocurrency from Qubit DeFi platform
- Just-In: Bitcoin May Soon Be A Legal Tender in Arizona
- OpenSea Fixes Vulnerability, But Users Are Still Losing NFTs To Hackers
- Crypto Mining: Putin Says Russia Has a ‘Competitive Advantage’ – Wants to ‘Tax and Regulate,’ Not Ban It
- Goldman Sachs Says Mainstream Crypto Adoption Not Enough to Boost Bitcoin (BTC) Price
- Fidelity Eyes for ETFs Tied to Metaverse After the SEC Rejects Its Spot Bitcoin ETF
- Rio De Jeneiro’s Mayor Reveals 1%Of Its Treasury Reserves Will Be Poured Into Cryptocurrencies
- Fake Grimacecoin Jumps 285,000% After McDonald’s’ Response to Elon Musk Tweet
- Turkey President Tayyip Erdoğan Orders For Metaverse Research
- After Twitter, Reddit Might Allow Users To Add NFT as Profile Picture
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?