Johannesburg online has experienced a cyber attack in which a group of people, according to a report by Bloomberg, are demanding ransom in bitcoins for the security breach.
City Of Johannesburg’s Website Goes Offline
The news appeared on Bloomberg Friday morning and according to the report, the city has been forced to shut down its billing system as a precaution, a measure of which was put in place after a network breach was detected.
“As a result several customer facing systems – including the city’s website, e-services, billing system … have been shut down as a precautionary measure,”
This group of hackers, now identified as “Shadow Kill Hackers” according to Johannesburg online’s official twitter handle now has unauthorized access to its information system.
The City has detected a network breach in its systems ^TK pic.twitter.com/r43iiJiUya
— City of Joburg (@CityofJoburgZA) October 24, 2019
In a message following the incidence which was posted on the city’s website, the Shadow Kill Hackers, according to broadcaster eNCA, is demanding a ransom of 4 BTC and has threatened to upload all hijacked pieces of information online by the 28th of October if its demand is not met by then.
Amid hastened investigation, the city said that a 24-hour investigative measure is being taken by security experts which have also taken drastic measures to ensure restoration of security and mitigate potential impacts.
Updating the community about the progress of the investigation following the breach, the City Of Johannesburg has encouraged its community to take third-party alternatives like EFT and Checkers in order to make municipal payments as the website remains offline.
- Luxury Car brand Lamborghini joins the NFT Bandwagon
- Mercedes Taps NFT Creators In Celebration of G-Class Series
- Why Ethereum (ETH) Price May Explode Coming July?
- Elon Musk Shamed After DogeBonk Took The ‘Moon Mission’ Challenge To The SpaceX Factory
- Cardano (ADA) Price Rises By 30% Last Week, Transactions Volume in last 24 hrs Surpasses $5 Billion
- Cardano (ADA) Dodges Broader Market Correction With Another 8% Gains
- MultiChain users at risk of Getting Hacked, as Six Cross-Chain Tokens Experiences Vulnerability
- ‘Ripple is giving SEC more Trouble than Anyone in Crypto’ Attorney Chervinsky
- OpenSea Sets New ATH For Monthly Trading Volume, Surpasses $3.5B in ETH
- Malaysian Converts Selfies Into NFTs, Becomes Millionaire In Just 5 Days
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?