Coinbase announced the expansion of support for three cryptocurrencies in the state of New York. The exchange has often avoided adding support for cryptocurrencies in the state. This is because of the stringent laws in place at the state.
A BitLicense is necessary for conducting operations in New York. The state’s financial authority, NYDFS, had imposed these regulations in 2015.
Moreover, the regulators also supervise the cryptocurrencies that are launched on these platforms for trading.
Coinbase announced support for Stellar, Chainlink, and Algorand for its’ users in New York. The cryptocurrencies will be available both on coinbase.com and Coinbase Pro.
Stellar Lumens (XLM) is now available to Coinbase users who are New York residents. New Yorkers can now log in to buy, sell, convert, send, receive, or store XLM on https://t.co/bCG11KMQ6s or using our iOS and Android apps. https://t.co/gArFJPP6K7 pic.twitter.com/eTtVaH9JdT
— Coinbase (@coinbase) September 25, 2019
NYDFS Feeling Pressure from Lawsuit?
The NYDFS is facing a lawsuit filed by entrepreneur Theo Chino and his company Chino Ltd. to abolish BitLicense. The process is exclusive only for the state of New York, and the costs of procurement are $50,000-$100k. Chino alleged that the process is ‘cumbersome and expensive.’ Furthermore, these restrictions are exclusive only in NY.
While Coinbase had already procured the license in January 2017, the process of addition of cryptocurrencies was still restricted.
The State financial authority also moved to a new division under Superintendent Linda Lacewell in July this year. The new division has been made “responsible for licensing and supervising virtual currencies.” Moving on, the authority seems to be growing adaptive towards them.
Stellar [XLM] is trading 4.79% higher on a daily scale. Nevertheless, XLM has also broken below $0.06 as the altcoins continue to feel the pressure.
Besides, Chainlink [LINK] has been one of the best performing cryptocurrencies in the past few days. As the entire market plunged, LINK was rather stable w.r.t. USD. However, Algorand [ALGO] has faced the brunt of the fall on 25th September.
Do you think that increasing adoption on exchanges can revive the altcoins? Please share your views with us.
- XRP Lawsuit: Here’s Why Experts Think Ripple Could Win the Case Against SEC
- Does Ethereum (ETH) Risk Becoming a Security After Transition to PoS ETH 2.0?
- Breaking: Coinbase Tops the List of Fastest-Growing Finance Apps
- Cardano’s Smart Contract Count Breaches 2,200, Hoskinson Says Defi “up for grabs”
- Just-in: PayPal Starts Bitcoin and Other Crypto Trading Services in UK
- Dopamine App Brings Vast Crypto Tracking Under One Roof
- Pooshi Coin is launching today! What you need to know
- After Coinbase This Crypto Lender is Facing Regulatory Scrutiny in 3 US States
- Tomi Heroes NFT Sales Volume Just Exploded Past $1.35m, with Massive ROI Potential For TOMI Sale
- Fantasy Sports And NFT Gaming Platform, DeFi 11 Announces Public Launch