Peter Schiff yesterday reported that he lost all of his Bitcoins that he had stored in his wallet.
There have been various reports of people losing their private keys or twelve phrase recovery password in the past. Exchange wallets are safe in this regard as the customer support helps in recovery of the wallets. Nevertheless, that is effectively handling one’s assets to them.
‘Not your key, not your Bitcoin.’
Vitalik Proposed Social Recovery
The crypto community must realize that while the private keys must be stored with care. There are often unforeseen circumstances which requires back-up of some sort. Vitalik tweeted,
Disappointed at people replying to this with “crypto is what it is, it’s your job to be super-careful and write down backup seeds in three places”. We can and should create better wallet tech to make security easier.
He introduced the social security improvement protocol that could invoke a recovery by a secret, like a recovery password. The user can authorize Ethereum addresses which can authorize a call protected by a secret only the user knows.
This process can be implemented simply by a centralized mobile and web application with/without custodial storage. However, it gives over control of the assets to the third party. Vitalik is proposing an improvement protocol using the Blockchain itself.
If Only Schiff Would Provide the Name of the Wallet
It could have been a mobile application upgrade or even a really bad choice of wallet from Schiff. Leading on-chain analyst, Woo tweeted,
…Wallets do make mistakes and get corrupted as they get upgraded. I remember having to recreate from seed on my old BreadWallet when they upgraded to BRD. (I hadn’t used it in a year) We are still in crypto’s bleeding edge tech days IMO.
Furthermore, while on one side it seems co-incidental, the fact that Schiff has refrained from sharing the name of the wallet does keep skepticism alive. In his latest tweet, he re-affirms his claims but without any sufficient details.
Can’t # pumpers be honest about anything? I was very clear that I didn’t forget my password. My wallet no longer recognizes my correct password.
How do you think Schiff’s Bitcoins can be recovered? Please share your views with us.
- Portugal opens First Physical Store for Buying and Selling of Bitcoin
- “This Irritates Me”- Elon Musk Slams Twitter’s Integration Of NFTs
- Crypto Mayhem Grips Markets, $230 Billion Decimated In Massive Red Friday Selloff
- New York City Mayor Eric Adams to Buy Bitcoin (BTC) and Ethereum (ETH) Dips Today
- Shiba Inu (SHIB) Sagging Values To Get A Boost With New Token Burn Mechanism?
- U.S. Fed Releases New Whitepaper for CBDC Digital Dollar, Kickstarts Debate
- Crypto Market Flash Crash: Bitcoin (BTC) Down 8%, Ethereum (ETH) And Altcoins Follow
- Breaking: Twitter Integrates NFT Profile Pictures and Crypto Wallets On IOS
- El Salvador wants to give small businesses access to Bitcoin-backed loans
- Meta and Instagram To Allow Users To Create, Display And Sell NFTs
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?