On Wednesday, July 14, Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell spoke on the topic of having a Digital Dollar during the hearing before the U.S. House of Representatives Financial Services Committee. The Fed Chairman said that one of the major reasons for the U.S. Central Bank to have digital currency in place is that it will undercut the need for other public cryptocurrencies and stablecoins.
He added that the Digital Dollar will be a more viable alternative for digital assets. Powell said:
“I think that may be the case and I think that’s one of the arguments that are offered in favor of digital currency. That, in particular, you wouldn’t need stablecoins, you wouldn’t need cryptocurrencies if you had a digital U.S. currency – I think that’s one of the stronger arguments in its favor.”
In September 2021, the Fed will be releasing the first official discussion paper on Digital Dollar. This will be a key step in deciding the Fed’s future action on the development of its CBDC. He also stressed that more regulations are required to push stablecoins to take a bigger role in the financial system.
Appropriate Regulatory Framework for Stablecoins
The Fed Chairman agreed to the recent comments from Fed Governor Lael Brainard. Back in May 2021, Brainard said that businesses and households might be harmed by a fragmented payments system that has too many stablecoins. A proper regulatory framework to govern stablecoins will be thus essential. On Wednesday’s hearing, Powell said:
“We have a pretty strong regulatory framework around bank deposits, for example, or money market funds. That doesn’t exist currently for stablecoins, and if they’re going to be a significant part of the payments universe – which we don’t think crypto assets will be but stablecoins might be – then we need an appropriate regulatory framework.”
Powell has already said that if the Fed were to move ahead with the CBDC, it will surely consult the public and Congress. The USD still dominates its position as the world’s reserve currency, but CBDC developments by China and other parts of the world could bring some threats to the USD stronghold in the future.
- Can Bitcoin’s Price Hit $1 Million? Ark Invest Is Confident It Can Happen In 2030
- DappRadar: Strong Possibility of DeFi Shakeout In 2022 Amid Crypto User Exodus
- YouTube’s Head of Gaming Joins Polygon Studios, CEO Praises NFT and Crypto
- Bitcoin And Ethereum Sell Off Nearing An End- CNBC Host Jim Cramer
- YouTube’s CEO Hints That NFTs Might Be Coming To The Video Sharing App
- Will McDonald’s Accept Dogecoin Following Elon Musk’s Challenge?
- Bitcoin’s Positive Correlation With The Stock Market Index Records A Mild Increase
- Breaking: Elon Musk Bets McDonalds to Accept Dogecoin (DOGE) As Payment
- T-series And Hefty Entertainment join forces with Hungama to delve into Web 3.0 to create NFTs
- Ripple Objects To SECs Request To Buy More Time Following Recent Court Ruling
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?