Florida’s Seminole County’s tax collector office has now become the first US government agency to accept Bitcoin payment for various services in collaboration with the payment provider, BitPay.
First U.S. government agency to accept cryptocurrency
It has been officially announced by the tax collector of the Seminole County, Florida, Joel M. Greenberg that the office will start accepting the cryptocurrencies as payment for various services this summer.
According to the press release, Bitcoin (BTC) and Bitcoin Cash (BCH) both will be accepted as payment for services that include property taxes, ID card fees, driver license, title, and tags. The move has been made in order to improve the payment efficiency and accuracy along with eliminating the heavy fees.
Greenberg was elected as the tax collector in November 2016 and since taking the office in January 2017, he has been initiating the introduction of new technologies like artificial intelligence and blockchain.
By accepting cryptocurrencies, the county aims to eliminate the risk of fraud and identity theft associated with credit card usage.
In collaboration with BitPay
The Seminole County Tax Collector is going to use the “largest global blockchain payments provider” BitPay that will allow the office to receive the settlement in its account the next business day in US dollars. The company also enables businesses to send and receive cross-border payments along with a platform to manage digital assets through its wallet.
The document that goes with the subtitle of “First U.S. Government Agency to Accept Cryptocurrency”
quotes BitPay as saying:
“With the Seminole County Tax Collector’s office, we have engaged our first government agency to accept bitcoin and bitcoin cash by making it easy and seamless for them.”
Earlier this month, the Berkeley city in California started an initiative to use blockchain technology to public finance the community projects. In order to allow more people to invest in the municipal projects, the minimum price of the municipal bond will be decreased drastically i.e. from $5,000 to about $10-25. Ben Bartlett, the vice mayor also talked about the possibility of issuing a token that would work like the municipal bond for city funding, if the political process allows for it.
This month itself, the US state of Arizona walked back on the provision that would have allowed the state residents to pay taxes by using cryptos. Now, the bill only allows the Department of Revenue to study the use of cryptocurrency to pay the income tax.
What do you think of Seminole county allowing tax payment in cryptocurrencies? Which state do you think will be the next to accept bitcoin payment? Share your thoughts with us!
- OpenSea’s Meteoric Rise May Trigger An Ethereum Crash, Here’s Why
- Breaking: JPMorgan Closes Uniswap (UNI) Founder’s Accounts
- UBS Warns Of Apocalyptic Crypto Winter And The Cryptocurrency Prices Are Poised To Crash
- SOL Tanks 6% As Solana Faces Another 48 Hour Outage, Boom and Bust Moment for Solana?
- Fantom (FTM) Surpasses Avalanche and Solana as DeFi TVL Crosses $12 Billion
- Buy The Dip Survey Shows 61% Of Chinese Bitcoin Investors Still Willing To Bet On Bitcoin
- Mike Novogratz Bets To Pay Peter Schiff $1 M If Bitcoin Price Stays Below $35,000 After 2022
- “At Some Point There’ll Be A Flash Crash” Says Gold Bull Peter Schiff
- Binance And FTX Worst Hit Exchanges As Losses Climb Almost Two Billion Combined
- Bitcoin S2F Founder says Current dip cannot stop Bitcoin from Adding Another Zero
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?