The Indian Finance Minister, Nirmala Sitharaman noted that to regulate a borderless body like crypto, global authorities need to come together and find common ground. During a discussion today at an event organised by Infinity Forum, about how India should regulate virtual currencies, Sitharaman highlighted that “technology has the power to sweep through borders”, henceforth, mere national measures will never be enough if regulators across the world aim to centralise the decentralized industry.
“Even as we are thinking at a national level, there should simultaneously be a global mechanism through which we are constantly monitoring the movement of technology. So whether it is your cryptocurrency, whether it is your technology-driven payment system, whether it is data privacy, whether it is ensuring that data itself is used ethically, regulating it will have to be a collective effort…All of us also recognise technology respects no physical border. Technology has the power to sweep through borders. It means global action is the only way in which you can regulate it effectively”, said Sitharaman.
She emphasised on the ever-evolving nature of crypto, claiming that while both, the executive and legislative are still struggling to catch up on this kind of technology, getting ahead appears to be an impossible plan. Sitharaman said, “I am not sure they (government) can ever be on-the-top-of-it-kind of situation because it is ever changing and it is ever evolving.”
Therefore, following this constantly evolving nature of crypto, Sitharaman mentioned that the regulatory framework will also evolve with it, without waiting for the legislative approval regarding every other regulatory change to catch up with technological advancements.
Crypto will Not be Banned in India
Previous evening, the confirmation that the Indian authorities are only looking to regulate crypto, without aiming for an outright ban kept the crypto community on social media awake till sunrise. Since the snapshot of the Indian crypto bill was leaked, the market had been in upheaval with speculations of an absolute ban on all private cryptocurrencies.
However, according to CoinGape’s exclusive reportage, crypto will not be legal tender in India and the legislation will now refer to it as, ‘crypto assets’ instead of cryptocurrency. However, the ray of hope came with the announcement of regulations over ban. Furthermore, crypto assets will be regulated by the Securities Exchange Board of India (SEBI).
- UBS Warns Of Apocalyptic Crypto Winter And The Cryptocurrency Prices Are Poised To Crash
- SOL Tanks 6% As Solana Faces Another 48 Hour Outage, Boom and Bust Moment for Solana?
- Fantom (FTM) Surpasses Avalanche and Solana as DeFi TVL Crosses $12 Billion
- Buy The Dip Survey Shows 61% Of Chinese Bitcoin Investors Still Willing To Bet On Bitcoin
- Mike Novogratz Bets To Pay Peter Schiff $1 M If Bitcoin Price Stays Below $35,000 After 2022
- “At Some Point There’ll Be A Flash Crash” Says Gold Bull Peter Schiff
- Binance And FTX Worst Hit Exchanges As Losses Climb Almost Two Billion Combined
- Bitcoin S2F Founder says Current dip cannot stop Bitcoin from Adding Another Zero
- Football Clubs Look To Mine Cash Revenue With Crypto Offerings
- Fed Readying To Launch The US Crypto Policy? White House Directs Agencies To Prepare Report
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?