International Monetary Fund (IMF) Chair Kristalina Georgieva during the World Economic Forum’s annual meeting on Tuesday said the collapse of Terra’s algorithmic stablecoin UST should not make people abandon cryptocurrencies. Kristalina Georgieva believes the crypto market is important as it offers faster service, much lower costs, and more inclusion.
IMF’s Kristalina Georgieva Hails Crypto Despite Terra Collapse
During the World Economic Forum’s annual meeting in Davos, Kristalina Georgieva urges investors not to abandon the crypto market despite the collapse of Terra’s UST and LUNA as not all digital currencies are the same, reported Bloomberg.
“I would beg you not to pull out of the importance of this world. It offers us all faster service, much lower costs, and more inclusion, but only if we separate apples from oranges and bananas.”
IMF’s Kristalina Georgieva thinks every investment asset comes with some level of associated risks, and so do cryptocurrencies. Therefore, stablecoins backed by cash and other assets are different from stablecoins supported by algorithms. Stablecoins are cryptocurrencies supposed to maintain a 1:1 peg with reserve assets like the US dollar.
The collapse of algorithmic stablecoin TerraUSD or UST caused massive liquidation across the crypto market. This should be a lesson for investors to avoid such risky assets that are less backed. Thus, investors should continue to invest in cryptocurrencies.
“The less there is backing it, the more you should be prepared to take the risk of this thing blowing up in your face.”
Kristalina Georgieva also urges regulators around the world to protect investors through crypto regulations and education. Moreover, she warned against confusing crypto products with currencies. Anything not backed by a sovereign guarantee can be an asset class, but not a currency.
Crypto Market Remains Under Pressure
The crypto market has been under pressure since the collapse of Terra’s UST and LUNA, decreasing investors’ trust in the market. Top cryptocurrencies Bitcoin and Ethereum are trading in a range for the last 2 weeks. Bitcoin and Ethereum struggle to maintain over $30,000 and $2000, respectively.
- Shiba Inu Emerges As Top Choice Of ETH Whales; Here’s Why
- Just-In: Shiba Inu Will Release New Token, Here’s How To Earn It
- Breaking: China Court Rules Restrictions On USDT, Here’s Why
- After Market Turmoil, USDC Issuer Circle Comes Clean Hinting No Liquidity Risks
- Just In: More Trouble For India’s Crypto Ecosystem With Latest Enforcement
- Is Celsius (CEL) Next To File Bankruptcy After Voyager, Three Arrows
- Bitcoin Hovers Around 20K; Will It Recover?
- Lido Staked ETH (stETH) Close To Ethereum Price, Why It’s Good For Crypto
- Ethereum (ETH) Recovery To $1.1K A Dead Cat Bounce, Here’s Why
- In June 2022, Bitcoin (BTC) Recorded the Worst Monthly Performance In History, Now What?
- MANA Price Analysis: Will Triangle Breakout Propel Market Price by 40%?
- Solana Price Analysis: Emerging Pattern May Bolster SOL Above $42.5
- BNB Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern Breakout Aims BNB to Surpass $300
- APE Price Analysis: $5.6 Breakout May Trigger Bullish Reversal pattern
- CRV Price analysis: Rising $CRV Knockout $0.86 Resistance; is $1 Next?
- Polygon Price Analysis: 20 EMA Resistance Pressurize MATIC for $0.45 Breakdown
- THORChain Price Analysis: Reversal Pattern Aim RUNE Price to Hit $3.4
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Cup & Handle Pattern Aims SAND to Reach $1.5
- AVAX Price Analysis: Breakout Rally Eyes $22.1 Mark; Buy Now?
- Cardano price Analysis: ADA Price Nearing Triangle Breakout Eyes $0.655