On early June 18, 2019, a crypto news portal from India has leaked out crucial news on Indian Government’s possible decision regarding cryptocurrency within the country. Accordingly, the Govt department wants to ban cryptocurrencies in India besides putting in a basket of Ponzi schemes.
Confirmed – Govt Seeking Crypto Ban in India
The news comes as confirmed piece after the response received for RTI filed by Mr.Naimish Sanghvi from Coin Crunch India, a crypto news portal from India. Per the report, Investor Education and Protection Fund (IEPF) authority addressed RTI application submitted during April and states that the meeting held on Jan 24, 2019, the IEPF authority with other bodies including DEA (Department of Economic Affairs), CBDT (Central Board of Direct Taxes, Government of India), CBIC (Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs), and MCA (Ministry Of Corporate Affairs) concluded discussion on implementing the ban on cryptocurrency – for sale, purchase, and issuance of all forms of cryptocurrencies.
This means that Govt might soon propose a ban on sale, purchase, and issuance and not necessarily holding a cryptocurrency. However, reports also confirmed that Govt is pulling crypto in a list of Ponzi schemes. RTI addressed 11 key questions concerning crypto ban, wherein the answer to RTI cleared out only questions by citing section 2 (f) of the RTI Act, 2005. The original copy of the RTI reads that;
A meeting on this subject was held under the Chairmanship of CEO, IEPF Authority on 24.01.2019 with all concerned i.e. Department of Economic Affairs, CBDT, CBIC, and MCA. It was unanimously decided in the meeting that the Department of Revenue and Department of Economic Affairs may immediately take steps to completely ban sale, purchase, and issuance of all forms and types of cryptocurrencies. In the meeting, it was discussed that it has features of Ponzi schemes.
But it’s Not Law Or Approved Bill Yet
While Govt stance on crypto seems restrictive, on the other hand, the crypto community is stubborn to influence Govt on the use-cases of cryptocurrency and blockchain in India – if positive regulations come forth. As such, Blockchained India, an independent blockchain community in India stepped out to gather collective voices of Indian blockchain & crypto enthusiasts.
Besides that, Varun Sethi who is famously known as Blockchain Lawyer has also begun a new signature campaign when the buzz of 10-year jail bill rolled out. Accordingly, the Signature campaign intends to collect votes from Indian crypto & blockchain enthusiasts to support crypto & form positive regulations around it.
Moreover, it is worth to note that the crypto ecosystem in India is still in a state of limbo. Today’s RTI response is merely the official confirmation and the possible decision by Indian Govt. Having said that, this is not the law or bill passed by Govt yet.
Nevertheless, the Supreme Court of India is yet to discuss and finalize the aspect of crypto in India on July 23, 2019. And the #IndiaWantsCrypto campaign by Nishchal Shetty, CEO of WazirX exchange still waiting to hear out from finance minister and prime minister. As such, it is 229th day for the campaign.
Stay updated with Coingape.com by subscribing or following on Twitter, we’re bringing quick updates as soon as possible.
Stay tuned, stay updated.!
Image source – Shutterstock
- “At Some Point There’ll Be A Flash Crash” Says Gold Bull Peter Schiff
- Binance And FTX Worst Hit Exchanges As Losses Climb Almost Two Billion Combined
- Bitcoin S2F Founder says Current dip cannot stop Bitcoin from Adding Another Zero
- Football Clubs Look To Mine Cash Revenue With Crypto Offerings
- Fed Readying To Launch The US Crypto Policy? White House Directs Agencies To Prepare Report
- Here’s Why You Should NOT Yet Buy the Bitcoin Dip, Miner Capitulation Ahead?
- MicroStrategy (MSTR) Stock On Free Fall As SEC Rejects Its Bitcoin Accounting Strategy
- Second Consecutive Crash Day Extends Investor Loses Over $350 Billion, El Salvador Buys the Dip
- DeFi’s Liquidation Volume Hits $34.33 M ATH, The Highest Since Last year’s December
- Portugal opens First Physical Store for Buying and Selling of Bitcoin
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?