India’s Government is set to discuss the levying of a goods and services tax (GST) on crypto transactions next week, reports said on Thursday.
According to a report by Bloomberg, the panel intends to broaden the scope of GST to bring digital assets under its fold.
While the panel has so far not decided on a rate, sources told Bloomberg that crypto may be placed under the highest slab, at 28%. This places the space alongside other items such as luxury cars, tobacco, and aerated drinks.
The move further highlights the Indian government’s apprehension towards crypto, given that the space already faces a steep 30% capital gains tax. Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman had also imposed a 1% tax on all crypto transactions.
India’s crypto stance still unclear
While the Indian government has outlined some tax regulation for cryptocurrencies, a bulk of the space remains largely unregulated in the country. The government is still in the process of laying out comprehensive legislation over crypto.
Sitharaman had earlier this year assured investors that the country would adopt a measured approach to regulation. But despite hosting one of the largest crypto user bases in the world, a bulk of Indian government bodies are largely against the space.
The Reserve Bank has repeatedly derided cryptocurrencies, and has also called for a blanket ban– one that was overturned by the Supreme Court in 2020.
Taxation rules come amid crypto chaos
An increase in taxes would serve as another blow to crypto interest in India, given that the market is already reeling from a sharp drop in prices.
Indian crypto trading volumes had logged a significant drop after the 30% tax was imposed earlier this year. Volumes then fell further after the Terra crash in May.
Crypto prices have since tumbled even further. Imposition of additional taxes in the space may see volumes decline even further in the country.
- Shiba Inu Emerges As Top Choice Of ETH Whales; Here’s Why
- Just-In: Shiba Inu Will Release New Token, Here’s How To Earn It
- Breaking: China Court Rules Restrictions On USDT, Here’s Why
- After Market Turmoil, USDC Issuer Circle Comes Clean Hinting No Liquidity Risks
- Just In: More Trouble For India’s Crypto Ecosystem With Latest Enforcement
- Is Celsius (CEL) Next To File Bankruptcy After Voyager, Three Arrows
- Bitcoin Hovers Around 20K; Will It Recover?
- Lido Staked ETH (stETH) Close To Ethereum Price, Why It’s Good For Crypto
- Ethereum (ETH) Recovery To $1.1K A Dead Cat Bounce, Here’s Why
- In June 2022, Bitcoin (BTC) Recorded the Worst Monthly Performance In History, Now What?
- MANA Price Analysis: Will Triangle Breakout Propel Market Price by 40%?
- Solana Price Analysis: Emerging Pattern May Bolster SOL Above $42.5
- BNB Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern Breakout Aims BNB to Surpass $300
- APE Price Analysis: $5.6 Breakout May Trigger Bullish Reversal pattern
- CRV Price analysis: Rising $CRV Knockout $0.86 Resistance; is $1 Next?
- Polygon Price Analysis: 20 EMA Resistance Pressurize MATIC for $0.45 Breakdown
- THORChain Price Analysis: Reversal Pattern Aim RUNE Price to Hit $3.4
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Cup & Handle Pattern Aims SAND to Reach $1.5
- AVAX Price Analysis: Breakout Rally Eyes $22.1 Mark; Buy Now?
- Cardano price Analysis: ADA Price Nearing Triangle Breakout Eyes $0.655