India seems to be getting closer to realizing its plans of having a central bank digital currency aka the “Digital Rupee”. Coming in its support on Tuesday, March 8, India’s Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said that there are clear advantages of having a CBDC.
Thus, the Finance Ministry is doing some consultations with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in this matter. During an interview on Tuesday, Sitharaman said:
“We see clear advantages in a central bank driven digital currency, because in this day and age, bulk payments happening between- countries, large transactions between institutions and large transactions between central banks themselves of each country- are all better enabled with digital currency”.
She further added that they are currently working on the CBDC’s design and expect the rollout by the end of this year. The Indian Finance Minister took a similar stand last month during her budget speech. The Digital Rupee will arrive in the market by Fy 22-23.
Still Undecided on the Crypto Sector
Last month, Nirmala Sitharaman announced that India shall be taxing crypto gains at a staggering 30%. Recently, she said that they haven’t quite decided about how to proceed with regulations in the crypto space. The regulators have to take a firm call on whether to regulate or ban the crypto sector. Sitharaman said:
“The consultations are on anybody interested in this domain are welcome to participate, after the consultation process gets duly completed, the Ministry would probably sit and mull over it, which is required because we need the executive to be sure that we are not crossing any legal requirements, post which we will be coming out with what’s our position on it”.
But talking about the future of crypto in India, the FM added: “many Indians have seen a lot of future in it, and therefore I see a possibility for revenue in it”.
- Are Hedge Funds Planning USDT Dump? Tether CTO Responds To Rumors
- Here’s Why Apecoin (APE) Price Is Skyrocketing Today
- Crypto Prices Falling Despite “Buy The Dip” Sentiment, Data Reveals Why
- Institutional Traders Dumped Bitcoin At A Record Pace Last Week
- Terra USTC Jumps 300%; Lands Back In Top 100 Cryptos
- Ripple’s EX CTO Dumps 40 million XRP tokens In Last 10 Days
- Dogecoin Soars 35%, Here’s Why Breaking This Level Is Crucial
- Crypto Lender Nexo Denies Fraud, Issues Cease And Desist Notice
- Ethereum (ETH) Price Rise and Stability Pulls Broader Crypto Market to $1 Trillion
- Scoop: This Hedge Fund Is Trying To Bailout BlockFi To Counter FTX
- Tezos Price Analysis: XTZ Rebounds from Yearly Support; is it a good buy?
- Tron Price Analysis: Triangle Pattern Governs the TRX Price Action; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- Dogecoin Price Analysis: DOGE Winning Streak Aims to Reclaim $0.077
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Reversal Pattern Sets 21% Rise in APE Price
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Will ETH Relief Rally Revert From $1300?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- Higher Price Rejection Hints BTC to Retest $20000
- SHIB Price Analysis: Overhead Supply Pressure Hints SHIB to Retest $0.00001
- Avalanche Price Analysis: Will The AVAX Breakout Rally Reach $30?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: U-shaped Recovery could Lead SAND above $1.5
- NEAR Price Analysis: Reversal Within Channel could Sink NEAR Below $3