Japan is one of the world leaders in blockchain development and blockchain communities as aspiring projects crop up every day in the supposed “Satoshi’s country of origin”. Japan became one of the first countries (if not the first) to regulate cryptocurrency activities including exchanges, institutions and funds giving businesses a definite framework to work with. Furthermore, the increasing user base across the country makes the country one to watch out for in the coming decade.
In this article we will focus on Japan’s cryptocurrency ecosystem and why the country is one to watch out for in 2020.
Access to regulated crypto channels
Cryptocurrency institutions and those dealing in crypto in the island nation are heavily regulated by Japan’s Financial Services Agency (FSA) following a history of hacks including the infamous Mt. Gox episode. With the reopening of the BitFlyer exchange to new customers in July 2019, rise of Bitbank, a JPY-to-crypto exchange that does not charge any fees on trading and deposits,
Despite reports showing the domestic population is turning away from crypto, institutions are increasingly getting into the field of blockchain such as Rakuten. With the blockchain institutional investment expected to soar in the coming year, having a regulated crypto environment adds appeal to Japan as the preferred destination given pressures from the blockchain islands.
Rakuten’s entry to blockchain and crypto
Despite the general downtrend in interest amongst retail traders in the country, Japan’s Amazon and largest retailing store, Rakuten, announced its Android wallet in August allowing users to store and trade Bitcoin (BTC), ether (ETH) and bitcoin cash (BCH) against the Japanese yen.
Recently, the retail giant announced they will be converting loyalty points bonus to the three cryptocurrencies (BTC, BCH, ETH) which provides a gateway for new entrants in the industry.
High domestic saving, financial literacy!
Japan is one of the country with the highest domestic savings rate. However, the country faces low interest rates which combined with the high level of financial literacy has made a number of investors switch to cryptocurrencies. These factors combined with the accelerated development of blockchain in the country, may prove a recipe for crypto’s success in the country in 2020.
The Bitcoin block reward halving is expected to reduce supply of BTC and in tandem increase price, will Japanese investors turn to the asset as a safe haven in 2020?
All in all, the current blockchain and crypto growth in Japan is outpacing most of the developed nations and 2020 may present an even bigger year for the industry. Hold on tight!
- Just-In: Bitcoin May Soon Be A Legal Tender in Arizona
- OpenSea Fixes Vulnerability, But Users Are Still Losing NFTs To Hackers
- Crypto Mining: Putin Says Russia Has a ‘Competitive Advantage’ – Wants to ‘Tax and Regulate,’ Not Ban It
- Goldman Sachs Says Mainstream Crypto Adoption Not Enough to Boost Bitcoin (BTC) Price
- Fidelity Eyes for ETFs Tied to Metaverse After the SEC Rejects Its Spot Bitcoin ETF
- Rio De Jeneiro’s Mayor Reveals 1%Of Its Treasury Reserves Will Be Poured Into Cryptocurrencies
- Fake Grimacecoin Jumps 285,000% After McDonald’s’ Response to Elon Musk Tweet
- Turkey President Tayyip Erdoğan Orders For Metaverse Research
- After Twitter, Reddit Might Allow Users To Add NFT as Profile Picture
- Facebook’s Bumbling Crypto Venture Diem to Wind Down, Sell Assets
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?