Videogame retailer GameStop said on Monday its new crypto and NFT wallet service is now live.
The retailer said its wallet is available for use as a Google Chrome extension, and will also allow transactions on its upcoming NFT marketplace. The wallet is self-custodial, and is based on Ethereum.
GameStop’s shares rose over 3% in premarket trading. But they are down nearly 40% this year, owing to a market crash.
The wallet launch also comes amid a sharp decline in the crypto market, especially in wake of the recent Terra crash.
GameStop makes crypto push this year
GameStop announced the launch through a tweet. The move marks further progress in GameStop’s hotly anticipated move into crypto and web3 technology.
The retailer’s NFT marketplace is set to launch in the coming months. The firm recently also launched a website for the marketplace.
GameStop’s push into web3 is part of a turnaround plan launched by Chairman Ryan Cohen.
Cohen is well regarded among GameStop’s retail shareholders, who played a major role in boosting the company’s valuation in a “meme stock” rally last year.
The rally was also what pushed GameStop’s management to consider avenues behind physical videogame retailing- a space that is severely declining in market share.
Wallet launch comes amid crypto, NFT crash
But while GameStop has ambitious plans for crypto, it is executing them amid one of the worst crypto crashes seen in recent times. Total crypto market valuation has slumped over $500 billion so far in May, with little scope of near-term recovery.
NFTs are also seeing a major decline in interest, with top projects such as Bored Apes and Azuki logging bigger losses than most cryptocurrencies.
GameStop will also enter an extremely crowded market, given that major exchanges such as Coinbase and Binance already offer self-custodial wallets. NFT marketplaces OpenSea and Looksrare also have a chokehold on the space.
- After Vauld Suspends Withdrawals, These Crypto Exchanges Could Be Next
- Cardano’s Vasil Upgrade Goes Live On Testnet; When Will It Be Lauching On Mainnet?
- How Stable Is Tether? Data Shows USDT At Massive Liquidity Imbalance
- As BTC Plummets to $19,000, Elon Musk’s Tesla Reports $440 Million Impairment Losses
- British Army Regains Control Of Their Hacked Social Media Accounts Promoting Crypto Scams
- Bitcoin Miners Likely Behind Crash Below $19K, Here’s Why
- India’s Crypto Exchanges In Trouble? 1% Tax Keeps Traders Away
- Crypto Exchange KuCoin Denies Rumours of Them Halting Exchange Withdrawals
- Elrond Price Jumps By 9% Over This Announcement
- XRP Holding Better Than Most Altcoins, Here’s Why
- Polygon Price Analysis: $0.45 Fallout could Plummet MATIC price by 25%
- ETH Price Analysis: Can $1000 Support Undermine Selling Momentum?
- BTC Price Analysis: Technical Indicator hints Upcoming recovery for Bitcoin
- CRV Price Analysis: Buyers Prepare To Boost CRV Prices To $1
- DOGE Price Analysis: Pullback Opportunity Eyes its Next Jump to $0.1
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Emerging Pattern May Soar SAND price by 20%
- Polygon Price Analysis: V-top Reversal may Direct MATIC to $0.31 Support
- ETH Price Analysis: Is Ethereum Dropping To Three Digits?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- BTC on Losing Streak Nearing $17800; Will it Hold?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Falling Prices Eye $3 Breakdown; Should Coin Holders Worry?