Even as the South Korean authorities try to probe the disastrous Terra crash, a new development took place in this regard on Monday. The latest action appears to be a cautious move to prevent any further loss of Terra funds and investor money.
The South Korean police have reportedly taken measures to freeze the Luna Foundation Guard’s ( LFG ) money. The LFG supports Terra cryptocurrency, which took a more than 99% hit due to an unexpected meltdown on May 12.
The police measures come after the controversy surrounding Terrra continues, as a vote on founder Do Kwon’s second revival plan continues.
Protecting Terra Funds
According to South Korea’s national media outlet KBS,
“The Seoul Metropolitan police agency’s first cybercrime investigation unit said it had recently requested each exchange to “freeze” Luna Foundation Guard from withdrawing corporate funds from accounts held on cryptocurrency exchanges.”
The police explained that there were clues to suspect that funds related to the embezzlement flew into Luna Foundation Guard. This is what led to the immediate action for freezing the money.
It is still not clearly known about the extent of restrictions on fund withdrawal. This is because the freeze action requested by the police is not mandated by law. However, the issue could be arbitrarily carried out by individual exchanges.
Kwon’s Tax Charges
Last week, the South Korean tax authorities charged Kwon and Terraform Labs with over $78.4 Million in unpaid taxes. Kwon has been under scrutiny since the collapse of the Terra network. However, he has laid out some plans in a bid to revive the Terra Chain.
The agency’s previous investigation in October 2021 resulted in the imposition of $3.64 million in income tax on Terra Virgin. In addition, a corporate tax of $34.7 million was also pressed on the firm. The agency also added that LFG was established overseas to avoid taxes.
Meanwhile, Terraform Labs in all likelihood will move ahead with forking Terra after 66% voter in favor of the new rival plan. As per the rebirth plan, a new Terra blockchain and LUNA token will be generated.
- Shiba Inu Emerges As Top Choice Of ETH Whales; Here’s Why
- Just-In: Shiba Inu Will Release New Token, Here’s How To Earn It
- Breaking: China Court Rules Restrictions On USDT, Here’s Why
- After Market Turmoil, USDC Issuer Circle Comes Clean Hinting No Liquidity Risks
- Just In: More Trouble For India’s Crypto Ecosystem With Latest Enforcement
- Is Celsius (CEL) Next To File Bankruptcy After Voyager, Three Arrows
- Bitcoin Hovers Around 20K; Will It Recover?
- Lido Staked ETH (stETH) Close To Ethereum Price, Why It’s Good For Crypto
- Ethereum (ETH) Recovery To $1.1K A Dead Cat Bounce, Here’s Why
- In June 2022, Bitcoin (BTC) Recorded the Worst Monthly Performance In History, Now What?
- MANA Price Analysis: Will Triangle Breakout Propel Market Price by 40%?
- Solana Price Analysis: Emerging Pattern May Bolster SOL Above $42.5
- BNB Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern Breakout Aims BNB to Surpass $300
- APE Price Analysis: $5.6 Breakout May Trigger Bullish Reversal pattern
- CRV Price analysis: Rising $CRV Knockout $0.86 Resistance; is $1 Next?
- Polygon Price Analysis: 20 EMA Resistance Pressurize MATIC for $0.45 Breakdown
- THORChain Price Analysis: Reversal Pattern Aim RUNE Price to Hit $3.4
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Cup & Handle Pattern Aims SAND to Reach $1.5
- AVAX Price Analysis: Breakout Rally Eyes $22.1 Mark; Buy Now?
- Cardano price Analysis: ADA Price Nearing Triangle Breakout Eyes $0.655