Margaret Nyamumbo, Kenyan citizen and Harvard Business school graduate has developed a unique blockchain solution which aims to share “distinctive Kenyan coffee and to build a better supply chain that allows farmers to earn a sustainable income.” She implements this by removing middlemen involved in Kenyan coffee production and distribution chain and working directly with the farmers.
Kenya’s Historic Coffee Production And Kahawa 1893 Blockchain Solution
Historically, coffee was said to be planted in 1893 for the first time in Kenya. Kahawa 1893, Nyamumbo’s blockchain solution, derives its name from that event. The company has introduced the use of the blockchain consumer delivery system which is the first fully traceable coffee delivery system in Kenya. This blockchain innovation also allows coffee consumers to tip the farmers directly by scanning a QR code and paying directly into the electronic wallets belonging to the farmers. Mpesa, Kenya’s local internet money transfer system can allow the farmers to get the funds instantly.
According to Margaret,
“If you pay 5 cents tip for each cup of coffee, it doubles the farmer’s income. Through traditional Fair Trade, for each $1 premium you pay, only 5 cents reaches the farmer with the rest lost to the supply chain, ”
Kahawa 1893 aims to outperform other alternatives like Blue Bottle Coffee by introducing decentralization, commitment to transparency, eliminating the middlemen, sharing wealth among coffee farmers and empowering women.
According to Margaret,
“women who performed over 90% of the labor, owned only 1% of the land and went mostly uncompensated.”
While this endeavour may help reduce imbalances in the supply chain, it doesn’t particularly help women who, Margaret claims, do more than 90% of the work involved in coffee production in the country. That is why Kahawa 1893 commits about 25% of their income to provide access to credit for women in coffee production so that “they can participate in trade and empower themselves financially.”
- “At Some Point There’ll Be A Flash Crash” Says Gold Bull Peter Schiff
- Binance And FTX Worst Hit Exchanges As Losses Climb Almost Two Billion Combined
- Bitcoin S2F Founder says Current dip cannot stop Bitcoin from Adding Another Zero
- Football Clubs Look To Mine Cash Revenue With Crypto Offerings
- Fed Readying To Launch The US Crypto Policy? White House Directs Agencies To Prepare Report
- Here’s Why You Should NOT Yet Buy the Bitcoin Dip, Miner Capitulation Ahead?
- MicroStrategy (MSTR) Stock On Free Fall As SEC Rejects Its Bitcoin Accounting Strategy
- Second Consecutive Crash Day Extends Investor Loses Over $350 Billion, El Salvador Buys the Dip
- DeFi’s Liquidation Volume Hits $34.33 M ATH, The Highest Since Last year’s December
- Portugal opens First Physical Store for Buying and Selling of Bitcoin
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?