Several users of cryptocurrency data platforms like CoinGecko, EtherScan and Dextools were on Friday subject to a phishing attack. Complaints from multiple users alerted that popups appeared on the platforms asking to connect their Metamask wallets.
Phishing Attack Alerts
Following this, CoinGecko tweeted, “Security Alert: If you are on the CoinGecko website and you are being prompted by your Metamask to connect to this site, this is a SCAM. Don’t connect it. We are investigating the root cause of this issue.”
In a subsequent update, CoinGecko said the phishing attack was caused by a malicious ad script by Coinzilla. “The situation is caused by a malicious ad script by Coinzilla, a crypto ad network – we have disabled it now but there may be some delay due to CDN caching. We are monitoring the situation further. Do stay on alert and don’t connect your Metamask on CoinGecko.”
Probe On Phishing
Etherscan, an analytics platform for Ethereum, tweeted,
“We have received reports of phishing popups via a 3rd party integration and are currently investigating. Please be careful not to confirm any transactions that pop up on the website. Interim we’ve taken immediate action to disable the said 3rd party integration on Etherscan.”
Similarly, reacting to an alert to not sign any requests delivered to Metamask wallets, Dextools, a DeFi app, said it was disabling all ads until the situation is clarified by Coinzilla. “Please be aware and don’t sign suspicious requests at your wallet. DEXTools does not automatically request any permissions.”
The latest attack adds to the growing number of hacking and phishing instances in the crypto space. Apart from prominent crypto platforms that were subject to hacking, crypto wallets have also been targetted by the perpetrators.
According to statistics from Chainalysis, an estimated $14 billion was siphoned off in various crypto-related security breaches in 2021.
- Do Kwon Says Terra Collecting Snapshot Data For LUNA Airdrop
- Top ETH Whales Add These DeFi Tokens Amid Crypto Volatility
- Here’s Why Bitcoin (BTC) Could Be In for Another 50% Correction Under $15,000
- Another Top Exchange To Delist Terra UST Over Collapse
- Just-In: Vitalik Buterin No Longer A Billionaire As Ethereum Crashes
- Bitcoin Price: Key Metrics Show Surprising Insights
- After Terra Crash, Galaxy Digital CEO Warns Against Bottom Buying
- Shiba Inu (SHIB) Prices May Jump Next Week; Here’s Why
- Is Andre Cronje Back On Fantom? FTM Jumps 13%
- PlanB Says Bear Market Almost Over, Bitcoin (BTC) In Buying Range
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Trapped Bullish Momentum Need Triangle Breakout
- FTM Price Analysis: Buyers Tease Breakout From Long-Coming Trendline
- GALA Price Analysis: High Momentum Fallout Warns $0.075 Fallout
- Solana Price Prediction 2022: Bulls to drive SOL Price to new Highs?
- Theta Price Prediction 2022 : Analysts Insights into the crucial Reversal levels
- Sandbox Price Prediction 2022 : Analysts Show Optimism Towards The Metaverse SAND Token
- Apecoin Price Prediction 2022 : The future of Web3 and NFTs ?
- Ethereum Classic Price Prediction 2022 : Here’s What to Expect from ETC Price ?
- SAND Price Analysis: SAND Buyers Await Trendline Breakout To Go Long
- Avalanche Price Analysis: AVAX Sellers Tease $30 Fallout; Sell or Hold?