After enough internal testing locally, the Chinese central bank – The People’s Bank of China (PBoC) – is all set to take its CBDC Digital Yuan global. As per the recent report from the South China Morning Post, the payments giant Mastercard is currently in talks with PBoC to facilitate the cross-border transactions for Digital Yuan.
Ling Hai, Mastercard’s Asia-Pacific co-president confirmed the Hong Kong-based publication about the same. It said that PBoC is one of many other central banks that is currently holding discussions “to enable cross-border use of their respective digital currencies”. Hai added:
“Central bank digital currencies such as that being piloted by Beijing could be circulated outside their home countries and converted into foreign currencies via a card clearing network acting as the conversion agent”.
Mastercard will reportedly offer a prepaid card that will allow users to store and convert the Digital Yuan while initiating any cross-border transactions. The company has already conducted this experiment with the world’s first digital currency – The Bahamas Dollar.
Thus, a Hong Kong resident can convert the local dollar into Digital Yuan and further reduce the need for currency conversion.
Maintaining Interoperability While Ensuring Cross-Border Payments
The Mastercard co-president Hai said the central banks can focus on domestic issues of ensuring the smooth functioning of its sovereign currency. Mastercard will ensure interoperability as the payments move across the country’s borders. Hai added:
“For us, supporting a central bank digital currency is similar to adding another fiat currency onto our network. Conversion across a hybrid of both fiat and digital currencies could hold the key to broadening merchants’ acceptance of central bank digital currencies.”
The PBoC has been already working with some central banks in the Asia Pacific region. Under its CBDC ‘Bridge’ Project the Chinese central bank has joined hands with the Central Bank of UAE and Bank of Thailand to explore cross-border Digital Yuan transactions.
- Another Stablecoin Follows LUNA $UST, Crashes Within Hours
- PlanB: Bitcoin (BTC) Is Creating A Bottom For The Next Bull Market
- Shiba Inu Holders Increase Amid Market Crash, But There’s A Catch
- LUNA Crash: South Korea Toughens Up Investigations Over Terra (LUNA) Crisis
- Avalanche (AVAX) Slumps 5% In Minutes On Fears Of Terra Dump
- Breaking: Luna Foundation Guard Reserves Decimated By Terra Crash
- Breaking: Luna Foundation Guard Member Says Terra Reserves En Route
- Just-In: El Salvador To Discuss Bitcoin Adoption With 44 Countries
- Ethereum Founder Says A Terra Bailout Should Target These Holders
- FTX Chief Sam Bankman-Fried thinks Bitcoin Has No Future As A Payments System
- Ethereum Price Analysis: ETH Price Erases Recovery Gains Towards $2,000
- Decentraland Price Analysis: MANA Price Sinks 10%; Are You Still Holding?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Under Bear’s Spell; Is $26,000 On Cards Again?
- ETH Price Analysis: Consolidation Range Soon To Launch ETH Above $2250
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Triangle Breakout Sets BTC Rally To $32000 Mark
- LUNA Price Analysis: Opportunity to Buy Cheap or A Bull Trap?
- Decentraland Price Analysis: MANA Price Prepares For 60% Gains; Are You Buying?
- SOL Price Analysis: Is $60.0 Around The Corner On The 4-hour Chart?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern Retest Phase Warns $0.08 Fallout
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Price Remains Pressured below $0.50; Is Selling A Good Choice?