Cyberattacks from North Korea have increased substantially from 2020 to 2021, according to a report on Moneycontrol.com, The number of hacks originating from North Korea surged from four to seven, constituting an increase of 40%, says a report released on Thursday.
40% surge in the hacking incidents in one year
The report revealed that the much-sanctioned country, facing a slew of sanctions due to its secret nuclear weapons program, could extract nearly $400 million worth of digital assets last year. In a new report, it was one of the most successful years on record, blockchain analysis firm Chainalysis said.
Once North Korea successfully siphoned off the crypto assets, it began a careful laundering process to cover up and cash out.
North Korea is under sanctions as per a resolution of the Security Council. However, a United Nations panel that monitors the enforcement of the sanctions on North Korea has accused Pyongyang of using stolen funds to support its nuclear and ballistic missile programs to circumvent sanctions.
North Korea never answers the world media about the allegations. However, in the past, it has denied allegations of hacking.
Three North Korean computer programmers charged for stealing $1.3 billion in money and cryptocurrency
In 2021 the US charged three North Korean computer programmers to be involved in a massive and year-long hacking spree to steal $1.3 billion in money and cryptocurrency. The three programmers were a part of the nation’s intelligence service. The entities affected by the hacks include banks, cryptocurrency-associated entities and even Hollywood movie studios.
Chain analysis did not precisely identify the victims of the hacking exploits but did say that the victims included investment firms and centralized exchanges. It also included Liquid.com, which announced in August that an unauthorized user had gained access to some of the cryptocurrency wallets it managed.
The modus operandi used by the hackers include phishing lures, code exploits, malware, and advanced social engineering to siphon funds out of these organizations into internet-connected hot’ wallets into North Korea-controlled addresses, the report said.
The attackers were also traced to the ‘WannaCry‘ ransomware attacks, international banks and customer accounts hacking, and the 2014 cyber-attacks on Sony Pictures Entertainment.
Chain analysis also revealed that North Korea had perfected software to launder stolen cryptocurrency by pooling and scrambling cryptocurrencies from thousands of addresses.
- UBS Warns Of Apocalyptic Crypto Winter And The Cryptocurrency Prices Are Poised To Crash
- SOL Tanks 6% As Solana Faces Another 48 Hour Outage, Boom and Bust Moment for Solana?
- Fantom (FTM) Surpasses Avalanche and Solana as DeFi TVL Crosses $12 Billion
- Buy The Dip Survey Shows 61% Of Chinese Bitcoin Investors Still Willing To Bet On Bitcoin
- Mike Novogratz Bets To Pay Peter Schiff $1 M If Bitcoin Price Stays Below $35,000 After 2022
- “At Some Point There’ll Be A Flash Crash” Says Gold Bull Peter Schiff
- Binance And FTX Worst Hit Exchanges As Losses Climb Almost Two Billion Combined
- Bitcoin S2F Founder says Current dip cannot stop Bitcoin from Adding Another Zero
- Football Clubs Look To Mine Cash Revenue With Crypto Offerings
- Fed Readying To Launch The US Crypto Policy? White House Directs Agencies To Prepare Report
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?