Bitcoin has the fixed supply of 21 million, however, in the light of current and past events, thousands, presumably millions of Bitcoins are lost that only reduces its supply.
Crypto Exchange Founder Dies, Crypto Funds Lost
Canadian cryptocurrency exchange QuadrigaCX can’t access the majority of the $190 million that it owes to its customers, according to a court filing. In a sworn affidavit with the Nova Scotia Supreme Court, Jennifer Roberson, identified as the widow of Gerald Cotten, founder of QuadrigaCX, has stated that the exchange owes $250 million CAD that is $190 million to its customer. Recently, the exchange had taken a step to avoid bankruptcy by filing for protection from creditors.
According to the filing, as of January 31, 2019, there were about 115,000 users with their balances on the exchange inclusive of $180 million CAD in cryptocurrencies and $70 million CAD in fiat. The exchange, according to the affidavit holds about 26,500 Bitcoin ($92.3 million USD), 11,000 Bitcoin SV ($707,000), 11,000 Bitcoin Cash ($1.3 million), 35,000 Bitcoin Gold ($352,000), 430,000 Ether ($46 million), and 200,000 Litecoin ($6.5 million).
In the affidavit, only a small amount of coins were stored in the hot wallet as Robertson has further added, “The normal procedure was that [QuadrigaCX founder and CEO Gerald Cotten] would move the majority of the coins to cold storage as a way to protect the coins from hacking or other virtual theft.”
Reportedly, Cotten held “sole responsibility for handling the funds and coins,” and the rest of the team members had no luck accessing the cold wallets of the exchange as the founder had the sole knowledge who died earlier this month. After his death, Robertson wrote, “Quadriga’s inventory of cryptocurrency has become unavailable and some of it may be lost.”
Bitcoin Supply Burn
Now, looks like these funds will be forever lost which means these coins are deducted from the Bitcoin’s fixed supply of 21 million. Crypto trader, I am Nomad, took to Twitter to wonder aloud about this supposedly supply burn.
While, another crypto trader, Moon Overlord says, this number is rather “conservative” as when all’s said and done the number could be expected around 5 million.
The number could be easily expected to be in millions this as there have been many incidents where Bitcoin has been lost. In May, last year, Wired reported losing $100,000 in Bitcoin. They actually received a mining device back in 2013 and managed to mine about 13 Bitcoins and later decide to destroy the private key. Also, in the past, incidents have been reported where the Bitcoin owner either lost or forget the key which means those Bitcoin are lost forever with no chance of retrieving them.
With the number of Bitcoin to be ever in existence getting reduced, this further lowers the supply, making people more bullish.
- Breaking: Twitter Integrates NFT Profile Pictures and Crypto Wallets On IOS
- El Salvador wants to give small businesses access to Bitcoin-backed loans
- Meta and Instagram To Allow Users To Create, Display And Sell NFTs
- Breaking: Bank of Russia Calls for Full Ban on Cryptocurrency
- Will Turkey Follow El Salvador to Legalize Bitcoin (BTC) Tender?
- Breaking: Andreessen Horowitz Seeks $4.5B For New Crypto Investments
- Meme Coin Update: BabyDoge Coin Crosses $1.6B Marketcap And 1.3M Holders
- Microsoft’s Activision Acquisition Bullish for SHIB Community- Shiba Inu Spokesperson
- GBTC Share Price Tanks As the Bitcoin Fund Trades At Record Discount
- Terra Ecosystem Announces the LUNA Foundation Guard (LFG) to Boost Growth, LUNA Up 4%
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?