In the hearing of the appeal for dismissal of the lawsuit against Ripple, the District Judge in California has ruled in favor of the plaintiffs.
Vladi Zakinov’s filled the consolidated class action lawsuit with Bradley Sostack identified as the lead plaintiff, last year in August 2019. The counsel for the plaintiff are James Taylor-Copeland and Oleg Elkhunovhich.
As reported earlier on CoinGape, the defendants tried to avoid the case on technicalities of the timeline of filing the case (greater than 3 years). However, the court ruled yesterday that the securities claim in question is not invalidated under federal law.
While the case goes back to investments made before 2015, the public revelation of Ripple selling XRP lots was made until August 2016.
The defendants of the case have been recognized as Ripple Inc, XRP II Subsidiary and Brad Garlinghouse, the CEO of Ripple. They are represented by their team counsel team including, Damien Marshall, Kathleen Hartnett, and Menno Goedman.
In a list of claim, the plaintiff alleges that defendants have mislead the investors about the nature of XRP as a non-security. Whereas, it has been majorly responsible for the sale of digital asset to the public.
Plaintiff alleges numerous purported mis-statements by defendants concerning
XRP, its value, and its status as a non-security
There’s a lot going on here, but overall it’s a victory for the plaintiffs. The securities claims survive. XRP stays in the crosshairs.
Furthermore, since securities and commodities are interchangeable, the timelines of the case are important when imposing factors for implementation of securities law. Hence, it is highly probable that XRP is identified as a security for the discussions of the case.
Nevertheless, the details of the matter and the precedence it sets will determine the conditions for classifying cryptocurrencies as a security or a non-security.
Do you think other cryptocurrencies are likely to face similar lawsuits? Please share your views with us.
- XRP Lawsuit: Here’s Why Experts Think Ripple Could Win the Case Against SEC
- Does Ethereum (ETH) Risk Becoming a Security After Transition to PoS ETH 2.0?
- Breaking: Coinbase Tops the List of Fastest-Growing Finance Apps
- Cardano’s Smart Contract Count Breaches 2,200, Hoskinson Says Defi “up for grabs”
- Just-in: PayPal Starts Bitcoin and Other Crypto Trading Services in UK
- Dopamine App Brings Vast Crypto Tracking Under One Roof
- Pooshi Coin is launching today! What you need to know
- After Coinbase This Crypto Lender is Facing Regulatory Scrutiny in 3 US States
- Tomi Heroes NFT Sales Volume Just Exploded Past $1.35m, with Massive ROI Potential For TOMI Sale
- Fantasy Sports And NFT Gaming Platform, DeFi 11 Announces Public Launch