In the hearing of the appeal for dismissal of the lawsuit against Ripple, the District Judge in California has ruled in favor of the plaintiffs.
Vladi Zakinov’s filled the consolidated class action lawsuit with Bradley Sostack identified as the lead plaintiff, last year in August 2019. The counsel for the plaintiff are James Taylor-Copeland and Oleg Elkhunovhich.
As reported earlier on CoinGape, the defendants tried to avoid the case on technicalities of the timeline of filing the case (greater than 3 years). However, the court ruled yesterday that the securities claim in question is not invalidated under federal law.
While the case goes back to investments made before 2015, the public revelation of Ripple selling XRP lots was made until August 2016.
The defendants of the case have been recognized as Ripple Inc, XRP II Subsidiary and Brad Garlinghouse, the CEO of Ripple. They are represented by their team counsel team including, Damien Marshall, Kathleen Hartnett, and Menno Goedman.
In a list of claim, the plaintiff alleges that defendants have mislead the investors about the nature of XRP as a non-security. Whereas, it has been majorly responsible for the sale of digital asset to the public.
Plaintiff alleges numerous purported mis-statements by defendants concerning
XRP, its value, and its status as a non-security
There’s a lot going on here, but overall it’s a victory for the plaintiffs. The securities claims survive. XRP stays in the crosshairs.
Furthermore, since securities and commodities are interchangeable, the timelines of the case are important when imposing factors for implementation of securities law. Hence, it is highly probable that XRP is identified as a security for the discussions of the case.
Nevertheless, the details of the matter and the precedence it sets will determine the conditions for classifying cryptocurrencies as a security or a non-security.
Do you think other cryptocurrencies are likely to face similar lawsuits? Please share your views with us.
- OpenSea’s Meteoric Rise May Trigger An Ethereum Crash, Here’s Why
- Breaking: JPMorgan Closes Uniswap (UNI) Founder’s Accounts
- UBS Warns Of Apocalyptic Crypto Winter And The Cryptocurrency Prices Are Poised To Crash
- SOL Tanks 6% As Solana Faces Another 48 Hour Outage, Boom and Bust Moment for Solana?
- Fantom (FTM) Surpasses Avalanche and Solana as DeFi TVL Crosses $12 Billion
- Buy The Dip Survey Shows 61% Of Chinese Bitcoin Investors Still Willing To Bet On Bitcoin
- Mike Novogratz Bets To Pay Peter Schiff $1 M If Bitcoin Price Stays Below $35,000 After 2022
- “At Some Point There’ll Be A Flash Crash” Says Gold Bull Peter Schiff
- Binance And FTX Worst Hit Exchanges As Losses Climb Almost Two Billion Combined
- Bitcoin S2F Founder says Current dip cannot stop Bitcoin from Adding Another Zero
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?