The latest update in South Korea’s crypto landscape saw the South Korean financial regulatory authorities propose legislative measures on virtual currencies by inducting it under system supervision like other financial industries, such as banking and insurance. Furthermore, the authorities have defined the rights and responsibilities of crypto assets, levying “undue profits” from crypto trading via unethical tools, as illegal. These tools include, market manipulation, as well as using undisclosed information to impact the prices. Henceforth, the authorities aim to treat it as an offense, with punishments starting from a minimum of one to five years in prison along with three to five times the fine.
South Korea Regulator’s Propose Criminal Penalties for Crypto Law Offenders
According to local news, the Financial Services Commission’s (FSC) November 23 report submitted with the National Assembly, proposed laws around crypto in reference to the Act on Protection of Cryptocurrency Users. Along with recommending the above mentioned punishments for defaulters, The FSC report also asserted that cryptocurrency issuers in South Korea must be bound to disclose white papers, coin evaluations, and business reports to users. Furthermore, failure to meet these laws will lead to criminal penalties.
The Financial Services Commission, together with the Political Affairs Committee decided to propose the utilization of its Business Rights Act for crypto regulation instead of amending the existing Specific Financial Information Act which was formerly used oversight in regards with AML in the crypto industry. The reason given by the authorities highlighted the issue of manifold loopholes as the former law regulated virtual currency only for the purpose of preventing money laundering.
South Korea Crypto Tax
Crypto Crackdown in South Korean has been a long-standing process. Last month, despite considerable backlash from the opposition, the South Korean Government confirmed the timeframe to begin crypto tax regulations in the country. The cryptocurrency taxation will be implemented on January 1 2022, which will impose a 20% tax on the profits of the transactions. While the government has consistently reaffirmed its crypto stance, the opposition continues to take pro-crypto measures. Following the crypto tax confirmation, The People Power Party drafted a proposal to tone down capital gain taxes on cryptocurrencies, however, South Korean authorities’ anti-crypto stance remains unshaken.
- UBS Warns Of Apocalyptic Crypto Winter And The Cryptocurrency Prices Are Poised To Crash
- SOL Tanks 6% As Solana Faces Another 48 Hour Outage, Boom and Bust Moment for Solana?
- Fantom (FTM) Surpasses Avalanche and Solana as DeFi TVL Crosses $12 Billion
- Buy The Dip Survey Shows 61% Of Chinese Bitcoin Investors Still Willing To Bet On Bitcoin
- Mike Novogratz Bets To Pay Peter Schiff $1 M If Bitcoin Price Stays Below $35,000 After 2022
- “At Some Point There’ll Be A Flash Crash” Says Gold Bull Peter Schiff
- Binance And FTX Worst Hit Exchanges As Losses Climb Almost Two Billion Combined
- Bitcoin S2F Founder says Current dip cannot stop Bitcoin from Adding Another Zero
- Football Clubs Look To Mine Cash Revenue With Crypto Offerings
- Fed Readying To Launch The US Crypto Policy? White House Directs Agencies To Prepare Report
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?