While the broader cryptocurrency has been showing a sideways movement, Terraform Labs’ LUNA token has significantly climbed the ranks gaining 60% over the last week. Terra’s LUNA token has toppled some of the recent top performers like Polygon (MATIC), Shiba INU, and Avalanche (AVAX).
As of press time, LUNA is trading 9.58% higher at a new all-time high of $69.38 with a market cap of 26.8 billion. LUNA is now looking to make its way into the top-ten crypto-list by surging past the only meme coin – Dogecoin – in this list.
The LUNA price rally comes on the backdrop of the optimism surrounding the potential for decentralized applications (DApps). Besides, the use of the LUNA coin in these blockchain applications is also the reason behind it. As on-chain data provider Santiment explains:
Terra has been on a tear for most of Q4, and is up an astounding +76% against the #Bitcoin‘s price since November 24th. Also encouraging is the upward long-term trajectory of $LUNA‘s development activity rate, with rising #github submissions over time.
Understanding Terra’s Functioning and LUNA’s Use
The Terra protocol works on an algorithm of deploying fiat-pegged stablecoins useful in a decentralized finance (DeFi) ecosystem. Terraform’s DeFi ecosystem includes popular apps like Pylon, Mirror, and Anchor.
Besides, Terraforms recently introduced a governance proposal to destroy and burn nearly 88 million LUNA coins from the community pool, swapping it for Terra’s native stablecoin UST. In less than a month’s time, UST’s market value has surged 3x from $2.9 billion to $7.7 billion. This reduction in supply and scarcity – a deflationary economic activity – of LUNA has pushed the price higher. Speaking to Bloomberg, Brian Curran, head of communications at Terraform Labs said:
“Mostly everything we do as a company supporting the Terra ecosystem and third-party projects that build and develop creates more demand for UST, closing the ‘demand loop’ with many use cases for UST ranging from payments, to savings, and investing.
As a result, Luna’s price dynamics are mostly a function of the demand for UST, and by extension, the demand for using UST across various applications and blockchains.”
Cross-chain bridges like Wormhole can further boost the demand for Terra’s LUNA. This is because they might allow Terra to export UST to other blockchain networks.
- Ripple Objects To SECs Request To Buy More Time Following Recent Court Ruling
- OpenSea’s Meteoric Rise May Trigger An Ethereum Crash, Here’s Why
- Breaking: JPMorgan Closes Uniswap (UNI) Founder’s Accounts
- UBS Warns Of Apocalyptic Crypto Winter And The Cryptocurrency Prices Are Poised To Crash
- SOL Tanks 6% As Solana Faces Another 48 Hour Outage, Boom and Bust Moment for Solana?
- Fantom (FTM) Surpasses Avalanche and Solana as DeFi TVL Crosses $12 Billion
- Buy The Dip Survey Shows 61% Of Chinese Bitcoin Investors Still Willing To Bet On Bitcoin
- Mike Novogratz Bets To Pay Peter Schiff $1 M If Bitcoin Price Stays Below $35,000 After 2022
- “At Some Point There’ll Be A Flash Crash” Says Gold Bull Peter Schiff
- Binance And FTX Worst Hit Exchanges As Losses Climb Almost Two Billion Combined
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?