Thailand’s Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) on Wednesday issued orders banning the use of digital assets in payments for goods and services. The ban will be effective from April 1.
The move is in line with the Thai Government’s stance against crypto payments. The Bank of Thailand has repeatedly insisted that it does not support the medium as legal tender. The ban also comes as a follow-up to recent comments from the SEC that it would look into regulating the use of tokens in purchasing goods and services.
Ban to protect financial stability in Thailand
The SEC said crypto payments could dent Thailand’s economic stability. This stance is likely motivated by the large amount of volatility seen in the crypto market recently, which makes the medium somewhat unfeasible for use as tender.
Businesses that provide crypto payment services have up to 30 days to comply with the rules, Reuters reported. The move is in line with most other countries’ approach to crypto, where it is approved as an investment vehicle, but not as legal tender.
Recently, Southeast Asian peer Indonesia also warned financial firms against facilitating crypto payments. To date, El Salvador is the only country that has adopted crypto as legal tender.
Thailand still has crypto-friendly regulation
Even with a ban on crypto as legal tender, the Thai Government still has laws to promote the use of crypto. Recently, the government scrapped a planned 15% tax on crypto investments, and instead exempted value-added-tax from transactions on certain crypto exchanges.
The government also allowed traders to offset annual losses against gains for taxes due on cryptocurrency investments. The moves come following a surge in crypto adoption in Southeast Asia’s second-largest economy.
Crypto data aggregator Chainalysis ranked Thailand as third in its index of countries leading DeFi adoption in 2021. It is also ranked 12th in the crypto aggregator’s 2021 global crypto adoption index.
- Major Elon Musk Announcement Fails To Spur Dogecoin Rally, Here’s why
- Here’s What Happens If Celsius Prepares For Bankruptcy
- Tether (USDT) Whale Wallets Hit 3-Yr Low, What Does It Mean?
- ETH Jumps 5% Following Ethereum’s Sepolia Testnet Merge Success, Goerli Next
- Major Setback to U.K’s Crypto Community As Sunak and Glen Quit Boris Administration
- Shiba Inu Emerges As Top Choice Of ETH Whales; Here’s Why
- Just-In: Shiba Inu Will Release New Token, Here’s How To Earn It
- Breaking: China Court Rules Restrictions On USDT, Here’s Why
- After Market Turmoil, USDC Issuer Circle Comes Clean Hinting No Liquidity Risks
- Just In: More Trouble For India’s Crypto Ecosystem With Latest Enforcement
- AVAX Price Analysis: $18.5 Breakout May Soar AVAX Recovery by 14.7%
- MANA Price Analysis: Will Triangle Breakout Propel Market Price by 40%?
- Solana Price Analysis: Emerging Pattern May Bolster SOL Above $42.5
- BNB Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern Breakout Aims BNB to Surpass $300
- APE Price Analysis: $5.6 Breakout May Trigger Bullish Reversal pattern
- CRV Price analysis: Rising $CRV Knockout $0.86 Resistance; is $1 Next?
- Polygon Price Analysis: 20 EMA Resistance Pressurize MATIC for $0.45 Breakdown
- THORChain Price Analysis: Reversal Pattern Aim RUNE Price to Hit $3.4
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Cup & Handle Pattern Aims SAND to Reach $1.5
- AVAX Price Analysis: Breakout Rally Eyes $22.1 Mark; Buy Now?