The crypto market crash last week has vastly shaken the crypto industry, with volatility witnessed in stablecoins too. The de-peg of TerraUSD (UST) and a brief decline in Tether (USDT) saw redemptions of more than $30 billion in top stablecoins in a week. Interestingly, the only stablecoin thriving from the volatility is Circle’s USD Coin or USDC.
The USDC’s market cap skyrocketed more than 10% from $48 billion to $53 billion since May 11th. The decline in other stablecoins led Circle to mint more than 10 billion coins in the last two weeks.
USDC Becomes Preferred Stablecoin Over Tether (USDT)
Tether (USDT) and USD Coin (USDC) are collateralized stablecoins that rely on a reserve of US dollar and dollar-equivalent assets to support their supply. On May 9, Terra’s algorithmic stablecoin UST lost its peg with the US dollar. It resulted in massive sell-offs in the crypto market and redemptions in stablecoins.
On May 12, Tether’s USDT stablecoin declined to $0.95, losing its peg to the stablecoin despite being a collateralized stablecoin. This wreak havoc and USDT along with other stablecoins started losing their market cap.
Meanwhile, USD Coin’s market cap started to rise as traders shifted from the largest stablecoin USDT to USDC. Till now, USDT is trading below $1 despite major support from the Tether team.
The data on USDC and USDT market by Santiment shows how the USDC has benefitted from the fall in USDT. The redemptions of USDT have continued to date. Meanwhile, the USDC transactions have also increased significantly in comparison to other stablecoins.
Stablecoins Transaction Activity. Source: Santiment
Whales’ accumulation of USDC has increased since the USDT and UST FUD. In fact, Circle’s USDC stablecoin has become the top purchased token by 500 biggestwhales in the last 24 hours.
Circle’s USD Coin Sees Massive Adoption
USD Coin is witnessing massive adoption due to its transparency and stability. Exchanges such as Kucoin and OKX are adding USDC trading pairs as the market demand booms.
Commenting on the USD Coin stability amid the bear market, Circle’s CEO Jeremy Allaire said:
“We’re doing a lot of what we’ve always done, which is try and build the most trusted, most transparent, most compliant model possible for this. There’s a reason why there’s been a flight to quality. There’s a reason why over the past week, USDC has seen strengthening, material strengthening.”
In fact, the leading crypto exchange FTX has also announced allowing customers to fund their accounts with the USDC stablecoin.
- Ethereum Exchange Supply Spikes, ETH At A Risk of Correcting to $700 And Below
- NFT Marketplace OpenSea Flags Data Breach, Here’s What Was Leaked
- EU Passes A Bill to Trace the Flow of Bitcoin & Crypto Assets In Regulatory Tightening Measures
- North Korea’s Lazarus Group Behind $100 Million Horizon Hack, Harmony Initiates Global Manhunt
- Grayscale Initiates A Lawsuit Against the U.S. SEC Over Spot Bitcoin ETF Issues
- Pentagon Raises Damning Concerns Over Bitcoin, Ethereum Security
- Bitcoin Cash Sinks 7% As Its Biggest Advocate Is Accused Of Default
- Here’s Why Ethereum (ETH) Price Can Plunge More Ahead
- This Crypto Winter Suite Could Help Investors In Bear Market
- Terra USTC Price Skyrockets By 75%; Will It Recover More?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Falling Prices Eye $3 Breakdown; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- SHIB Price Analysis: Sustained Selling may Lead $SHIB to $0.0000074?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Crashing SAND Prices Warns 25% Downfall
- Solana Price Analysis: $36 Breakdown Teases SOL Price to Revisit $26
- Chainlink Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern could Lead LINK price below to $5
- AAVE Price Analysis: Buyers Need $76.6 Breakout to Trigger Bullish Recovery
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Rising APE Price Knockout Another Barrier; is $6 Next?
- Stacks Price Analysis: Reversal Within Wedge Pattern Eyes $0.3 Support
- Tezos Price Analysis: XTZ Rebounds from Yearly Support; is it a good buy?
- Tron Price Analysis: Triangle Pattern Governs the TRX Price Action; Should Coin Holders Worry?