The fraud investigation into an alleged $2 billion fraud committed by one of the largest Turkish exchange Thodex has intensified as the investigation agency bas extended the custody of 8 arrested accused that include the Thodex founder Faruk Fatih Özer’s sister and brother. Another 60 arrested suspects were released by an Istanbul court.
The main website of the said crypto exchange became defunct on Monday after hundreds of users started complaining about not able to access their funds. It was later revealed that the founder has got away with nearly $2 billion of 400,000 user’s funds while assuring that the exchange complications are primarily due to technical changes in the platform owing to foreign investment.
Ozer in a statement released yesterday claimed that only 31,000 of the exchange users are liable for a refund while denying all claims of fraud.
Turkish Central Bank Looking to Offer Direct Crypto Custody In Wake of Fraud
Turkey was not very keen on cryptocurrencies and the central bank had even proposed a ban on crypto trading amid surging popularity. However, the growing inflation rate made crypto even more popular in the country as seven-week crypto trading volumes hit 218 billion liras ($27 billion), up from just over 7 billion liras in the same period a year earlier.
The Turkish Central Bank is now reportedly considering offering direct crypto custody services themselves in the wake of the recent crypto exit scams by prominent crypto exchanges. This marks a great turn of events for the country that went from banning crypto to offering direct custody services.
Turkey went from banning #Bitcoin for payment to setting up a custodian bank, in like…5 days 😂
— Bitcoin Archive 🗄🚀🌔 (@BTC_Archive) April 27, 2021
Many developing nations reeling from inflation and depleting economy are now looking to adopt cryptocurrencies to get past the mounting financial crisis. Iran is facing several trade sanctions as well as growing inflation has tuned to use Bitcoin mined locally for imports to bypass the US sanctions.
- Will McDonald’s Accept Dogecoin Following Elon Musk’s Challenge?
- Bitcoin’s Positive Correlation With The Stock Market Index Records A Mild Increase
- Breaking: Elon Musk Bets McDonalds to Accept Dogecoin (DOGE) As Payment
- T-series And Hefty Entertainment join forces with Hungama to delve into Web 3.0 to create NFTs
- Ripple Objects To SECs Request To Buy More Time Following Recent Court Ruling
- OpenSea’s Meteoric Rise May Trigger An Ethereum Crash, Here’s Why
- Breaking: JPMorgan Closes Uniswap (UNI) Founder’s Accounts
- UBS Warns Of Apocalyptic Crypto Winter And The Cryptocurrency Prices Are Poised To Crash
- SOL Tanks 6% As Solana Faces Another 48 Hour Outage, Boom and Bust Moment for Solana?
- Fantom (FTM) Surpasses Avalanche and Solana as DeFi TVL Crosses $12 Billion
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?