The emergence of decentralized finance (defi) as a distinct wing of the cryptocurrency space has already seen many long-standing centralized exchanges lose ground to their newly created decentralized counterparts.
Over $10 million passed through TRON’s newly created decentralized exchange (DEX) protocol JustSwap in the 24 hours following its launch on August 18. Created in the mold of recent DEX success Uniswap, JustSwap acts as a TRX-based portal into the world of defi, as evidenced by its immediate listings of JUST (JST), the stablecoin USDJ, BitTorrent Token (BTT), as well as the TRON-based TRX/USDT pair.
Between JUST, the JustSwap DEX and BitTorrent’s distributed file sharing network, TRON-based defi is now gaining momentum – right in time to capitalize on rising Ethereum transaction fees, and rising interest in the defi space in general.
Defi for Business
Director of Blockchain for Business, and current director of IBM financial services and digital assets Nitin Gaur recently told Cointelegraph that financial institutions were obligated to explore decentralized finance, as it was positioned to change the way we do business.
“I think that the financial institutions should understand it because it has the potential to eventually sort of take over and subside the business elements of existing business models. And that’s one reason why a bank should do it,” said Gaur.
The total value locked in defi recently surpassed $6.7B, meaning more has been invested in defi than in most major cryptocurrencies. Indeed, if defi were a cryptocurrency it would be the fifth largest in the world by market cap already.
And given that Ethereum is feeling the tight squeeze of congestion fees owing to the gas-guzzling nature of several of its most popular applications (including Uniswap, which consumes the second most gas on Ethereum), now couldn’t be a better time for the arrival of a major defi competitor.
TRON, Defi and BitTorrent
Within 24 hours of going live, the JustSwap DEX processed over 33,000 transactions across its various trading pairs. Only UniSwap witnessed a greater volume of transactions on the day, with JustSwap exceeding the third-placed Balancer many times over.
JustSwap is now home to the token which will be used to pay users of TRON’s collateralized assets – JUST (JST). Combining in a two-token system with the JUST stablecoin (USDJ), JST tokens will be used to reward users who lock up their funds to secure collateralized debt positions taken out on the platform.
In addition to USDJ, TRON founder and CEO Justin Sun recently announced that BitTorrent Token (BTT) would be eligible for use in JUST yield farming, which is expected to begin in Q3 of this year.
The move comes shortly after the TRON CEO announced that the JUST token would find a home on BitTorrent’s distributed file sharing network, BitTorrent File System (BTFS). Total worldwide downloads of the BitTorrent software client recently exceeded a staggering 2 billion. Combining over 1,000 TRON nodes, and over 1 million active BitTorrent nodes, the JUST defi toolset may now have the single largest potential audience in the cryptocurrency space.
- Luxury Car brand Lamborghini joins the NFT Bandwagon
- Mercedes Taps NFT Creators In Celebration of G-Class Series
- Why Ethereum (ETH) Price May Explode Coming July?
- Elon Musk Shamed After DogeBonk Took The ‘Moon Mission’ Challenge To The SpaceX Factory
- Cardano (ADA) Price Rises By 30% Last Week, Transactions Volume in last 24 hrs Surpasses $5 Billion
- Cardano (ADA) Dodges Broader Market Correction With Another 8% Gains
- MultiChain users at risk of Getting Hacked, as Six Cross-Chain Tokens Experiences Vulnerability
- ‘Ripple is giving SEC more Trouble than Anyone in Crypto’ Attorney Chervinsky
- OpenSea Sets New ATH For Monthly Trading Volume, Surpasses $3.5B in ETH
- Malaysian Converts Selfies Into NFTs, Becomes Millionaire In Just 5 Days
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?