USD-Tether is the largest stablecoin with a market capitalization of more than $4.63 billion. The increase or decrease in the supply of the stablecoin has had a notable effects on the crypto market.
Adam Back, the CEO of Blockstream notes in a recent tweeted of how Tether came into existence because of Bitcoin, and have now established a ’cause and effect’ relationship. Due to its’ dominance on exchanges, Tether is one of the leading indicators of big price moves in Bitcoin.
Tether pumped bitcoin
Fiat pumped tether
— Mati Greenspan [tweets are not trading advice] (@MatiGreenspan) January 30, 2020
USDT on Ethereum Dominance
The issuance of Tether has now ignited a new battle for dominance in the crypto space. Tether was originally issued on OMNI. However, since USDT was created on Ethereum, Tron, EOS and recently Liquid as well. Currently, Ethereum dominates the issuance with 48% share.
Not only Tether issuance, but the USDT transfer on Ethereum are also taking over the majority share of the Ethereum Blockchain itself. Recently, Ryan Watkins from Messari Research reported that,
Ethereum’s economy is now dominated by stable value transfer. This is an incredible achievement.
According to the findings, since may 2019, the value transfers of USDT on Ethereum surpassed the value transfers of ETH and ERC20 tokens. Moreover, the difference has grown further; so much so, that USDT now dominates the entire platform.
The Liquid Test
I see $USDt on Ethereum as a stopgap measure for more #LiquidNetwork integration on exchanges. There just isn’t much point to a centralized asset mainly moved between exchanges being on a “decentralized” platform. It’s backwards and inefficient.
The Liquid Network is built for Exchanges and brokers, and it is becoming fairly popular with L-BTC and L-USDT integrations on exchanges. Moreover, Tether is primarily used on exchanges to trader Bitcoin and Altcoins for USD or FIAT equivalent pair. Hence, the shift in the dominance is possible.
Furthermore, it is not new for USDT to shift from its’ platform. The stablecoin once only issued on OMNI, has now shifted its dominance to Ethereum with a 48% share compared to OMNI’s 32%.
The actual effect on the price of ETH token due to the increase is also questionable. In case of a shift, the volume of transactions on Ethereum would decrease which is not healthy for any network.
As recently reported on CoinGape, Liquid Network does not introduce a seperate crypto for its Blockchain. The fact has been appreciated notable Bitcoin investors.
How do thing the market share of USDT affects the price of cryptocurrencies? Please share your views with us.
- OpenSea’s Meteoric Rise May Trigger An Ethereum Crash, Here’s Why
- Breaking: JPMorgan Closes Uniswap (UNI) Founder’s Accounts
- UBS Warns Of Apocalyptic Crypto Winter And The Cryptocurrency Prices Are Poised To Crash
- SOL Tanks 6% As Solana Faces Another 48 Hour Outage, Boom and Bust Moment for Solana?
- Fantom (FTM) Surpasses Avalanche and Solana as DeFi TVL Crosses $12 Billion
- Buy The Dip Survey Shows 61% Of Chinese Bitcoin Investors Still Willing To Bet On Bitcoin
- Mike Novogratz Bets To Pay Peter Schiff $1 M If Bitcoin Price Stays Below $35,000 After 2022
- “At Some Point There’ll Be A Flash Crash” Says Gold Bull Peter Schiff
- Binance And FTX Worst Hit Exchanges As Losses Climb Almost Two Billion Combined
- Bitcoin S2F Founder says Current dip cannot stop Bitcoin from Adding Another Zero
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?