Although Bitcoin whales have mostly been seen in a bad light, they could be useful in driving important events in the industry. According to Diar, Bitcoin whales who own at least 1000 BTC are responsible for bringing back the bull market that Bitcoin is currently enjoying.
Bitcoin price rise coincides with the accumulation
According to an analysis by Diar, there has been a steady increase in BTC being acquired by Bitcoin whales holding 1000 BTC or more. Those wallets currently hold 26% of the total Bitcoin circulating supply. Comparing the amount of Bitcoin amassed by these wallets in August 2018 when Bitcoin was also at $8,000 to the current amount, Diar said the addresses held under 20% of the circulating supply which has increased to 26% in less than a year.
The number of Bitcoins held by these addresses significantly increased by December of 2018 when the cryptocurrency bottomed. This could be due to a major buy-in of the bottom for storage ahead of a possible bull market like the one Bitcoin is experiencing now. The increase in the number of Bitcoin held amounts to $6 billion more than what was held in August 2018.
In addition, 40% of mined Bitcoins in 2019 have been claimed by these wallets while retail wallets holding 0 to 100 BTC have also received an additional 126,000 BTC this year and the number of wallet addresses under this category has been on the increase as well. Retail wallets currently hold 38% of Bitcoin’s total circulating supply but are not responsible for the current price rally because they are quite stable, the report said.
Interestingly though, on-chain transaction data suggests that there is a restricted supply of Bitcoins on exchanges which happen to own most of the major addresses. This is evident by the reduction in the amount of Bitcoin they hold which has declined from 21% of the total circulation to the current 16%. So far, they have collectively lost 300,000 BTC since the start of 2018.
BTC accumulation causes a price spike
The increase of 7% in the amount of BTC held by the major whales holding between 1000 and 10,000 BTC is responsible for the price surge, based on Diar’s data. This is a possibility as those BTC are nor lost but have been in the wallets and they have been quite active according to the report. If the holding of BTC has raised the price, what will be the implication of selling the accumulated BTC on the price? Is the market in danger of losing if the whales decide to sell?
- YouTube’s CEO Hints That NFTs Might B Coming To The Video Sharing App
- Will McDonald’s Accept Dogecoin Following Elon Musk’s Challenge?
- Bitcoin’s Positive Correlation With The Stock Market Index Records A Mild Increase
- Breaking: Elon Musk Bets McDonalds to Accept Dogecoin (DOGE) As Payment
- T-series And Hefty Entertainment join forces with Hungama to delve into Web 3.0 to create NFTs
- Ripple Objects To SECs Request To Buy More Time Following Recent Court Ruling
- OpenSea’s Meteoric Rise May Trigger An Ethereum Crash, Here’s Why
- Breaking: JPMorgan Closes Uniswap (UNI) Founder’s Accounts
- UBS Warns Of Apocalyptic Crypto Winter And The Cryptocurrency Prices Are Poised To Crash
- SOL Tanks 6% As Solana Faces Another 48 Hour Outage, Boom and Bust Moment for Solana?
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?