Estonia, a North European nation made headlines in the crypto world with its strict AML regulations a few days back. The strict regulatory policies introduced by the government were seen as regressive that led to rumors about a possible ban on cryptocurrencies. Earlier. today the Finance Minister of the country came out with an official response addressing and clearing all the rumors about a possible ban.
🇪🇪 Estonia is NOT banning crypto.
— Sten Tamkivi (@seikatsu) January 3, 2022
The official press release from the Finance Minister made it clear that the law people are referring to, is still a draft bill and needs to be passed in the parliament. Secondly, the draft bill proposes measures for Virtual Asset Service Providers (VASPs) and would not affect customers in any way, thus dismissing all rumors of a possible ban. The official press release read:
“The regulation is not applied to customers, but to VASPs who conduct activities for or on behalf of a natural or legal persons as a permanent business. This means that the legislation does not contain any measures to ban customers from owning and trading virtual assets and does not in any way require customers to share their private keys to wallets. The regulation does not affect individuals who own virtual currency through a private wallet not provided by a VASP. However, accounts opened with Estonian VASPs cannot be anonymous and Estonian VASPs cannot offer anonymous accounts or wallets.”
The new AML regulations require VASPs to disclose their customer details and prohibit them from facilitating or working with anonymous accounts.
Crypto regulations tighten around the globe
Most of the nations are currently actively working and mitigating probable regulations for the crypto market. Most of the nations are expected to implement FATF-approved AML guidelines quite similar to what Estonia has proposed in its draft bill. The likes of South Korea, the UK, and several other European nations have already implemented the same.
The United States is also currently actively looking to regulate the crypto market where the main focus seems to be around stablecoins. Policymakers in the country have demanded faster regulatory frameworks from top regulatory bodies such as the SEC.
- Ripple Objects To SECs Request To Buy More Time Following Recent Court Ruling
- OpenSea’s Meteoric Rise May Trigger An Ethereum Crash, Here’s Why
- Breaking: JPMorgan Closes Uniswap (UNI) Founder’s Accounts
- UBS Warns Of Apocalyptic Crypto Winter And The Cryptocurrency Prices Are Poised To Crash
- SOL Tanks 6% As Solana Faces Another 48 Hour Outage, Boom and Bust Moment for Solana?
- Fantom (FTM) Surpasses Avalanche and Solana as DeFi TVL Crosses $12 Billion
- Buy The Dip Survey Shows 61% Of Chinese Bitcoin Investors Still Willing To Bet On Bitcoin
- Mike Novogratz Bets To Pay Peter Schiff $1 M If Bitcoin Price Stays Below $35,000 After 2022
- “At Some Point There’ll Be A Flash Crash” Says Gold Bull Peter Schiff
- Binance And FTX Worst Hit Exchanges As Losses Climb Almost Two Billion Combined
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?