Tether, the operator of the USDT stablecoin, on Wednesday derided speculation that the token is backed by low-rated debt.
The firm said in a press release that recent “rumors” that the portfolio used to back USDT consists of Chinese or Asian commercial papers are “completely false.”
Tether, which is operated by crypto exchange BitFinex, said that the rumors are being circulated to “generate additional profits from an already stressed market.” But the firm did not specify the where and how these “rumors” were being circulated.
Is USDT safe against a crash?
Tether said that commercial paper makes up less than 25% of USDT’s backing, and that 47% of the stablecoin’s reserves are backed by U.S. Treasuries.
The firm has been gradually phasing out commercial debt from its portfolio, given that the asset class is usually the most volatile among traditional debt instruments. Data from Tether’s website shows that 28% of its cash equivalents is made of commercial debt.
The firm said it plans to reduce its commercial debt holdings to $8.4 billion by the end of June, from $11 billion at the end of March. It plans to eventually bring that figure to zero.
Tether steady after depegging scare in May
A crypto crash in May had seen USDT briefly depeg to as low as $0.95- its weakest level since 2017. Scrutiny towards stablecoins has increased after TerraUSD- once the fourth-largest stablecoin- slumped to zero in less than a week.
But USDT differs from UST, wherein the former is fully collateralized. UST was backed by volatile assets, which resulted in its depegging.
USDT has also been able to handle rising redemptions, with Tether claiming the stablecoin is holding up well. During the height of the May crash, Paolo Ardoino, chief technology officer of Tether, claimed the firm had processed $7 billion redemptions in 48 hours.
USDT is now trading at $0.9983, with a market capital of $70.8 billion.
- Bitcoin Miners Likely Behind Crash Below $19K, Here’s Why
- India’s Crypto Exchanges In Trouble? 1% Tax Keeps Traders Away
- Crypto Exchange KuCoin Denies Rumours of Them Halting Exchange Withdrawals
- Elrond Price Jumps By 9% Over This Announcement
- XRP Holding Better Than Most Altcoins, Here’s Why
- Breaking: Polygon, Major Blockchains Hit With Network Attack
- New Crypto Rules In Europe: A Global Standard For Regulation?
- Third Biggest Whale Adds 1,416 Bitcoins In Last 2 Days; Will This Pump BTC?
- ‘Big Short’ Michael Burry Says Bitcoin Crash Is Only Halfway Through
- These Whales Scoop $850 mln Worth FTX Tokens Ahead Of BlockFi Deal
- CRV Price Analysis: Buyers Prepare To Boost CRV Prices To $1
- DOGE Price Analysis: Pullback Opportunity Eyes its Next Jump to $0.1
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Emerging Pattern May Soar SAND price by 20%
- Polygon Price Analysis: V-top Reversal may Direct MATIC to $0.31 Support
- ETH Price Analysis: Is Ethereum Dropping To Three Digits?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- BTC on Losing Streak Nearing $17800; Will it Hold?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Falling Prices Eye $3 Breakdown; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- SHIB Price Analysis: Sustained Selling may Lead $SHIB to $0.0000074?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Crashing SAND Prices Warns 25% Downfall
- Solana Price Analysis: $36 Breakdown Teases SOL Price to Revisit $26