Crypto market capitalization hit an over two-week low on Monday, as most major tokens extended losses after Russia said it was too early to be discussing a possible summit with the United States.
Data from coinmarketcap.com showed crypto market capital shed another $30 billion from the start of the day and was at about $1.7 trillion. The day’s losses mark a 41% tumble in market capital from record highs hit last year.
No Plans for U.S.- Russia Summit
A Kremlin spokesman told reporters that there were no concrete plans to organize any summit with Washington, contrasting earlier reports from the French Presidency that both heads of state had agreed to a summit in principle. Concerns over Russia and Ukraine had knocked nearly $200 billion off crypto market capitalization last week.
While crypto markets had recovered slightly in early trade on Monday, news that a summit was unlikely saw a return to losses. Bitcoin was down 2.4% at around $37,700.
Ethereum dropped more than 1% to a three-week low of $2,621.32. Solana, which had raced past its peers earlier in the day, also fell 1.2%. Radix and NEO were among the worst performing tokens in the past 24 hours down around 7% each, while stablecoin Tether saw the highest volumes among its peers at $36 billion- more than twice as that of Bitcoin.
Tether has dominated market volumes in recent weeks, thanks to increased demand for less volatile, safe-haven assets.
Adding to pressure on cryptocurrencies and broader markets, Wall Street bank JPMorgan forecast nine straight rate increases by the Federal Reserve, until March 2023. Interest rate hikes will see a rapid end to the rampant liquidity that had fueled risk-driven assets over the past two years.
A phishing attack that stole “millions” from NFT marketplace OpenSea also appeared to have rattled sentiment towards digital assets.
- Elrond Price Jumps By 9% Over This Announcement
- XRP Holding Better Than Most Altcoins, Here’s Why
- Breaking: Polygon, Major Blockchains Hit With Network Attack
- New Crypto Rules In Europe: A Global Standard For Regulation?
- Third Biggest Whale Adds 1,416 Bitcoins In Last 2 Days; Will This Pump BTC?
- ‘Big Short’ Michael Burry Says Bitcoin Crash Is Only Halfway Through
- These Whales Scoop $850 mln Worth FTX Tokens Ahead Of BlockFi Deal
- Breaking: El Salvador Buys 80 Bitcoin (BTC), Here’s How Prices Reacted
- U.S. DoJ Slaps Charges Against Promoters of Baller Ape Club NFT In Rug Pull Scam
- Canada-based Ledn Challenges FTX’s Bid of BlockFi Acquisition With Better Proposal
- Polygon Price Analysis: V-top Reversal may Direct MATIC to $0.31 Support
- ETH Price Analysis: Is Ethereum Dropping To Three Digits?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- BTC on Losing Streak Nearing $17800; Will it Hold?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Falling Prices Eye $3 Breakdown; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- SHIB Price Analysis: Sustained Selling may Lead $SHIB to $0.0000074?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Crashing SAND Prices Warns 25% Downfall
- Solana Price Analysis: $36 Breakdown Teases SOL Price to Revisit $26
- Chainlink Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern could Lead LINK price below to $5
- AAVE Price Analysis: Buyers Need $76.6 Breakout to Trigger Bullish Recovery
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Rising APE Price Knockout Another Barrier; is $6 Next?