Amid the expanding crypto crackdown, Hong Kong Venture Capital giant, CMCC Global is launching yet another round for its crypto fund, aiming to accumulate $300 million this time around. Furthermore, the firm is reaching out to billionaire investors like Richard Li to bet on blockchain and Defi. Richard Li had already anchored CMCC’s last crypto funding round, in April which closed at nearly $90 million, through his investment manager Pacific Century Group.
“Martin and Charlie (CMCC founders) are able to get into crypto projects and get connected with the founders really early on, which makes them special,” said Daniel Wong, a senior vice president of Pacific Century Group.
Crypto Funds loophole
Hong Kong used to be a global crypto hub before the ban, however, the industry has found a loophole with crypto funds. They raise money for crypto, invest in crypto through that funding, and further issue shares against the bought crypto, with CMCC leading the industry in these crypto funding rounds. While the company’s majority stake in the venture is held by the founders, Martin Baumann, and Charlie Morris, who founded the company in 2016, Richard Li, along with the Gemini Trust Co. founders, Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss are also investors in CMCC’s holding entity.
“The underlying infrastructure is maturing to the point where we basically can have interesting applications…Particularly in Defi, we’ve seen higher quality teams.”, said Charlie Morris, who is one of the investors in the VC.
Hong Kong Crypto Industry fights back amid Crackdown
During the third quarter, the Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) of Hong Kong issued a notice, announcing a ban on CIS offerings to the public in Hong Kong without the SFC’s authorization. The commission further warned investors to be extra cautious if they still plan to go against the authorities and invest in an unauthorized investment scheme.
As the regulators are determined to close in on the crypto industry of Hong Kong, the crypto hub still has some fight left. Earlier this month, Powercrypto Holdings, a subsidiary of Powerbridge Technologies, announced the upcoming launch of a fleet of crypto miners for Bitcoin (BTC) and Ethereum (ETH) in Hong Kong. Furthermore, Powercrypto confirmed the eco-friendly and sustainable nature of its crypto mining operations to avoid the regulatory crackdown.
- Just-In: European Central Bank Says Crypto Unsuitable As Store Of Value
- South Korean Terra Holders Skyrocketed After Its Crash, Here’s Why
- Verse Metaverse – LA Villa Hand Over On May 30
- Bitcoin (BTC) Faces A Crash To 2020 Lows, Here’s Why
- On-Chain Data: Bitcoin (BTC) Always Pegs Higher Trust Over Ether (ETH) in Bear Market
- Is Terra’s Singapore Office A “Paper Company?”
- Bitcoin (BTC) Options Market Hints Major Downside Risks Over Next 3-6 Months
- Bitcoin (BTC) Fails to Hold $30,000 Again, Guggenheim CIO Predicts A Crash to $8000
- Hard Fork Vs Genesis Chain: Terra Team Clears Air Around Debate
- Prominent Investment Officer Predicts More Downside For Bitcoin Price, Here’s Why
- AAVE Price Analysis: AAVE Chart Hints Coin Holders May Lose $100 Mark
- What Next For The Fast Recovering FTM Price?
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Triangle Pattern Foretells Upcoming Rally in ETH
- Zilliqa Price Analysis: Channel Breakout Hints ZIL Price to hit $0.1
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Trapped Bullish Momentum Need Triangle Breakout
- FTM Price Analysis: Buyers Tease Breakout From Long-Coming Trendline
- GALA Price Analysis: High Momentum Fallout Warns $0.075 Fallout
- Solana Price Prediction 2022: Bulls to drive SOL Price to new Highs?
- Theta Price Prediction 2022 : Analysts Insights into the crucial Reversal levels
- Sandbox Price Prediction 2022 : Analysts Show Optimism Towards The Metaverse SAND Token