Monero (XMR) could be headed for a massive price spike next week on a planned bank run by the community. The possible rally stems from a plan by some XMR holders to initiate mass withdrawals of the token from centralized exchanges.
XMR is the largest privacy coin by market capitalization, which stands at $4.26 billion. The token occupies a somewhat controversial place in crypto, given that it provides complete anonymity while transacting.
But it is this anonymity that some holders intend to test in the coming week, by initiating a supply crunch for the token in centralized exchanges. As more XMR moves off exchanges, its price is expected to rise in the ensuing supply deficit.
XMR was trading at $234 on Friday. It has gained 4% over the past week.
Some XMR holders plan bank run
According to a post on popular crypto subreddit r/Cryptocurrency, some XMR holders intend to mass withdraw their funds from centralized exchanges on April 18.
Dubbed “The Monerun,” the event intends to test whether centralized exchanges are misrepresenting their XMR reserves. Given the token’s highly anonymized nature, community members claim there is no way to test its real supply without initiating a liquidity crunch.
Some community members also claimed that exchanges were pretending to sell XMR that they did not actually have. Others alleged some exchanges had already frozen withdrawals.
The reddit post had nearly 2000 upvotes, and 500 comments. According to Monero Observer, a telegram group with over 800 users is also associated with the movement.
Privacy coins a controversial subject
XMR uses decoy addresses and obscures transaction values to maintain anonymity of users. But given their use in facilitating entirely anonymous transactions, privacy coins have garnered some regulatory ire.
While they are legal in the United States, countries such as Japan and South Korea have banned the tokens, citing their potential use in money laundering. Some exchanges have also stopped accepting the tokens, due to potential regulation against the space.
- Hard Fork Vs Genesis Chain: Terra Team Clears Air Around Debate
- Prominent Investment Officer Predicts More Downside For Bitcoin Price, Here’s Why
- Investors Move $141 Million Out Of Crypto: CoinShares Report
- Just In: S. Korea Police Seek To Guard LUNA Assets
- Incoming Shiba Inu Rally? Over 22 Billion SHIB Tokens Burned Across 497 Transactions
- French Luxury Brand Balenciaga To Accept Crypto Payments In U.S.
- PayPal May Soon Accept All Forms Of Crypto Reveals Vice-President
- Crypto Analyst Predicts What Will Kickstart Next Bitcoin Bull Run
- Just-In: South Korea May Sue Crypto Exchanges Over Terra Crash
- Breaking: S. Korean Exchanges Redflag Litecoin Mimblewimble Update; May Delist LTC
- What Next For The Fast Recovering FTM Price?
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Triangle Pattern Foretells Upcoming Rally in ETH
- Zilliqa Price Analysis: Channel Breakout Hints ZIL Price to hit $0.1
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Trapped Bullish Momentum Need Triangle Breakout
- FTM Price Analysis: Buyers Tease Breakout From Long-Coming Trendline
- GALA Price Analysis: High Momentum Fallout Warns $0.075 Fallout
- Solana Price Prediction 2022: Bulls to drive SOL Price to new Highs?
- Theta Price Prediction 2022 : Analysts Insights into the crucial Reversal levels
- Sandbox Price Prediction 2022 : Analysts Show Optimism Towards The Metaverse SAND Token
- Apecoin Price Prediction 2022 : The future of Web3 and NFTs ?