This amount makes it one of the largest acquisitions of a coin tracking platform in history.
CMC is indispensable for Traders and Investors
But CMC isn’t just any other tracker. It lists over 2,000 tokens and coins and attracts millions of unique visitors every month.
An industry, though emerging and hugely disruptive, must always have a reliable source of prices and new listings and which exchanges are ahead of the curve, the most liquid, which pairs are the most active, and which exchange’s influence is fading.
Ethereum and XRP supporters can always keep track of their coin’s performance and in real-time track whether they are closing in on Bitcoin, the most valuable digital asset. Traders can also place calculated bets depending on Bitcoin’s dominance and the likelihood of “flippening.”
CoinMarketCap availed all that and towers ahead of competitors, including Coingecko, for instance.
However, CMC has had its dark past. For example, they were accused of failing to delist exchanges known for wash trading. Also, they didn’t delist Bitconnect despite being a Ponzi.
Will Binance Take Full Control?
But with Binance in the equation, and considering their heavy investment, hard questions are beginning to be asked.
Binance is an independent exchange, it lists coins at their two ramps: Binance and Binance DEX for a fee. However, what the community is asking is whether Binance will have a hand, place quality controls, and determine which coins/tokens will be listed at the tracker.
The same applies to exchanges. Will Binance squash competitors by limiting certain data?
It’s a concern, and Twitter is abuzz with questions. One user asks:
“No disrespect to Binance, but this isn’t good at all for crypto. CMC is like the independent listing site for all crypto. When you have a crypto exchange/company take it over, who’s saying they will not have implicit biases when listing projects? Whatever though, money talks right. ”
Larry Cermak, another crypto supporter, is convinced Binance doesn’t have to pay $400 million unless the exchange is keen on tapping CMC’s traffic.
“This acquisition doesn’t make much sense to me. But a simple explanation is that Binance wants to get access to CoinMarketap’s 207.2 million traffic it got in the last 6 months.”
This acquisition doesn't make much sense to me. But a simple explanation is that Binance wants to get access to CoinMarketap's 207.2 million traffic it got in the last 6 months. pic.twitter.com/ZQV5B2wsIz
— Larry Cermak (@lawmaster) March 31, 2020
- Portugal opens First Physical Store for Buying and Selling of Bitcoin
- “This Irritates Me”- Elon Musk Slams Twitter’s Integration Of NFTs
- Crypto Mayhem Grips Markets, $230 Billion Decimated In Massive Red Friday Selloff
- New York City Mayor Eric Adams to Buy Bitcoin (BTC) and Ethereum (ETH) Dips Today
- Shiba Inu (SHIB) Sagging Values To Get A Boost With New Token Burn Mechanism?
- U.S. Fed Releases New Whitepaper for CBDC Digital Dollar, Kickstarts Debate
- Crypto Market Flash Crash: Bitcoin (BTC) Down 8%, Ethereum (ETH) And Altcoins Follow
- Breaking: Twitter Integrates NFT Profile Pictures and Crypto Wallets On IOS
- El Salvador wants to give small businesses access to Bitcoin-backed loans
- Meta and Instagram To Allow Users To Create, Display And Sell NFTs
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?