Bitcoin (BTC) extended its losses on Monday, falling further into a trading range it has stuck to for most of the year. Analysts expect the token to deepen its losses, given that pressure from inflation and a hawkish Federal Reserve is set to increase in the coming months.
BTC fell 1% in the past 24 hours, hitting a three-week low of $41,897.15. The token has now almost entirely negated its strong rally through end-March, which saw it hit 2022 highs of near $48,000.
A bulk of the token’s recent weakness has coincided with losses in other risk driven assets. Stocks and foreign exchange were also routed as investors feared interest rate hikes by the Fed, which will reduce the margins on investing in several asset classes.
BTC to find support at $37k
BTC’s fall below $42,000 also saw it briefly slip below its 200-day moving average, a sign that the token could be headed for steeper losses below $40,000.
Crypto analyst @SmartContracter expects the token to drop to as low as $37-$38,000, its next key support level. While it could see a brief relief bounce in the near-term, the momentum for the world’s largest cryptocurrency appears to be largely downwards.
Recent data also showed that a large number of long positions on BTC had been liquidated last week. Traders initially expecting more gains in the token may now see a change in sentiment, given recent losses.
More headwinds to come?
Between rising inflation, growing correlation with stocks, and an ongoing halving, BTC faces a slew of factors pushing its price lower.
BitMEX CEO Arthur Hayes said BTC’s correlation with U.S. technology stocks, particularly the Nasdaq 100 index, is likely to see it slump to $30,000 by June. He cited increasing inflation and pressure from the Fed as the two main triggers for a potential crypto crash.
BTC is also set to undergo a halving, ie a reduction in mining incentives, later in the day. While the halving is a method to keep BTC sustainable in the long-term, it comes with the short-term effect of weighing on prices.
- G7 Countries to Discuss Crypto Assets This Week After Recent Terra Ecosystem Collapse
- Whales Eye Litecoin Ahead Of Major Update, Here’s Why
- Just-In: Robinhood Now Supports Web3 Wallets And NFTs
- U.S. Is Winning Bitcoin Mining Race But China Still Not Out Of Picture: Report
- Stablecoin Meltdown: This Token Loses $7 Billion Within A Week
- Just-In: Polygon (MATIC) Releases Nightfall Mainnet Beta; Here’s Why It’s A Big Deal
- Ripple (XRP) Price Jumps Over 4%, Here’s Why
- Coinbase Cuts Down Hiring After Q1 Losses Hit $420 Million
- Shiba Inu (SHIB) Price Soars 6% In A Day, Here’s Why
- KuCoin Lists $UST Crisis Born Stablecoin $USDD; Details
- APE Price Analysis: Triangle Breakout Eyes 55% Rise in APE
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Price Remains Pressured Below $0.45
- EGLD Price Analysis: Decreasing Volume Hints EGLD to Reverse from $75
- Cardano Price Analysis: ADA Price Prepares For 22% Jump; Are You Holding?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Holds Above $30,000; Opportunity To Buy?
- Ethereum Price Analysis: ETH Price Erases Recovery Gains Towards $2,000
- Decentraland Price Analysis: MANA Price Sinks 10%; Are You Still Holding?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Under Bear’s Spell; Is $26,000 On Cards Again?
- ETH Price Analysis: Consolidation Range Soon To Launch ETH Above $2250
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Triangle Breakout Sets BTC Rally To $32000 Mark